• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Building an invert roller!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AndrianBLUE

Jul 23, 2020
Hi guys!
Here is a timelapse I created for an invert roller speargun I built.
It is a 75cm load length invert roller. My main speargun is a 100 invert roller which I also built a while ago. I built this speargun to have it as a second gun with me and for shallower dives around rocky seabeds so I can maneuver it faster.

Dive safe!

:D I was expecting.to see somebody using hand tools or machine tools. What is the device? Is it a professional set-up that you use for business?

Nice looking speargun. MVD spear by any chance? Which trigger mech did you use?

:D I was expecting.to see somebody using hand tools or machine tools. What is the device? Is it a professional set-up that you use for business?

Nice looking speargun. MVD spear by any chance? Which trigger mech did you use?
Thanks!
The machine is a CNC gantry machine which I have designed my self and built with my brother. I use it for business, for machining hunting shotgun stocks mainly but for other stuff too. In the future when I have perfected my design I hope I can sell spearguns too but at the moment I am in the proccess of testing and refining my design.

The spear is salvimar capture 7mm which I really like. The trigger mech is the ermes double roll wings which is a really great mechanism. It has 2 rollers so it reduces friction between the trigger and the spear. The feel when pulling the trigger is superb! They are from Italy.

Amazing! Show us some more videos of what you do with that CNC machine!

Thank you!
I haven't done any video for the other things we do. But here are couple of photos of the stocks we make.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Nice work,
Looks pretty badass.
What wood did you choose? How did you figure your buoyancy?
I want to convert my rob allen to a roller. Does that extra pulley on the bottom rub on your stock?
Daren

Nice work,
Looks pretty badass.
What wood did you choose? How did you figure your buoyancy?
I want to convert my rob allen to a roller. Does that extra pulley on the bottom rub on your stock?
Daren
Thank you!
The wood I am using currently is Utile. My plan is to try with teak later but only when I feel that my design is finished. For proper buoyancy I have created one pocket around the middle of the gun and one in the grip. During the first dive I had pieces of 30g and 60g leads attached to ropes and hanged them on the gun front and back to measure how much is needed and then I placed them in the pockets.
The pulleys do not touch the gun at all. I have shaped the gun in that way to avoid it.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi Andrian,
Big fan of your Youtube channel and didn't realise you were present on this forum. Love your design.
Have you considered adding a 4th axis to avoid flipping, re-clamping and referencing?
Also what controller do you use? Is it Mach3? If not, why don't you use Mach 3?
JS.

• Love
Reactions: AndrianBLUE
Hi Andrian,
Big fan of your Youtube channel and didn't realise you were present on this forum. Love your design.
Have you considered adding a 4th axis to avoid flipping, re-clamping and referencing?
Also what controller do you use? Is it Mach3? If not, why don't you use Mach 3?
JS.
Hi
Great to see I have fans!!! :)

Yes I have considered about 4th axis. The thing is that this machine has only 1m of travel on X axis so in order to make longer spearguns than 75cm of load length I need to do each side in two operations where I move the stock forward and backward. I can build up to 110cm load length with this machine.
So 4th axis wouldn't help me on this machine. The referencing is not an issue though cause I do it with locating holes and pins and it is dead accurate and easy.
The controller uses mach3 indeed. It works great for me.
My goal is to reach a point that I will need a bigger machine and I will build one optimized just for building spearguns, with enough length to build longer spearguns and even have room for a 4th axis maybe.
But one step at a time!!

Still trying to figure out Mach3. Physics Anonymous did a really good UI (Video here; download link here) that makes it look less Windows 95.

I'm currently designing a 1600(X) 400(Y) and 200(Z) router specifically for speargun stocks. Do you have any tips for router building beginners?
V2.jpg

My router will use the same ?Chinese 2.2kw water-cooled ER20? that I think you're currently using - how have you found this spindle so far?
I wish there were reliable tool changing spindles that didn't cost the earth...

I sent you a message on Youtube about a month ago about the Speargun Simulator I'm currently working on, did you get it/find it useful?

I think that the design you have will produce a lot of vibrations. The side walls of the gantry and the plates on the spindle seem to be too thin. Also The mount that holds the spindle on the plate should go lower. If you see my machine the mount of the spindle is as low as it can go. And notice how thick each aluminum plate and bracket is. Another thing to consider is that maybe you should add a middle leg to your base too, to avoid the base bending a little when the gantry is in the middle area of the machine.
Yes the spindle I use is a chinese 2.2kw but with 4 ceramic bearings. It gets the job done fine.
For the motors and drives I use the leadshine hybrid closed loop steppers. I suggest that you use closed loop motors too so there won't be any issue with losings steps on your machine etc.
I don't recall the message on youtube :confused:
And I always check all the comments on my videos.
It seems really interesting.

I don't have access to a mill or the ability to weld alloy; the router will be made out of welded steel. I will look to redesign the frame out of tube instead of plate per your advice.

The spindle mount has been re-designed as per your direction, is this better? (ack the Y and Z plates are still too thin)
V2.1.png

Can't add a middle leg as the gantry wraps all the way around.
V2.2.png

The purpose of this is to prevent chips from entering the SBR16 linear bearings and to only use 1x X-axis screw. Have you had issues with the linear bearings and chips/wood dust? I could abandon this idea if you don't have issues with dust etc.

Closed loop all the way.

I left the comment on your channel page, not a video. This could be why you missed it:
Untitled.png

The Speargun dynamics/design paper will be released tomorrow. I can send you a copy if you'd like? Warning - it's 20,000 words long.

I don't have any issues with the linear guide bearings so far after 3-4 years of using the machine. They have sliders that don't allow the dust to get in. The comment doesn't show up on my page. I will take a look again later, maybe i miss something.
Sure send me a copy and I will take a look!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT