• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Building simple gun, help.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FreshyPoleSpear

Aug 12, 2011
Hey: I'm planning on building a simple speargun, just a couple bands, basic steel shaft with steel flopper barb, wood of course, but the real problem is I can't find anything on how to make a single stage thumb trigger, I want to make a thumb trigger as a kind of blast from the past type thing, also the look on my friends faces when I out shoot them would be priceless. so help with the trigger would be cool, also anyone ever made a Hawaiian hinge gun, would like to have one of those to for poking around in rocks and such.

Thanks, Freshy

Hi fleshy, unfortunately I dont think you will get much support from our members because that sounds very dangerous!
Surely making a twin band gun with a proper trigger will be enough to impress your friends?

I think that a thumb trigger is safe enough, and a hinge gun is safe too, two bands might be a little to much, but looking on other forums I have found people making up to three bands for these thumb triggers. I think their plenty safe,

Thanks Freshy

OK, well I really dont know much about the type of gun you are wanting to build, can show some pictures of something similar?

Well I know theres suposed to be something under the hinge above the spear on the hing gun but here are the pictures. And the two guns have 1 band I'm not sure what size. They look big though.

Attachments

• hs002.jpg
    hs002.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 279
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 278
  • tnimgp0247s.jpg
    tnimgp0247s.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 268
That looks like the same sort of design that was used thousands of years ago on the Chinese crossbows!
try googling Ancient crossbow mechanism or something similar....

Thanks, I'll look into that, but what about the hinge gun, where could I find plans or something?

Thanks Again Freshy

The locals in the Philippines use simple triggers like your asking for I have used them and they are easy to fire by accident and hard to aim with

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT