• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bum wrist - looking for gun or tool with alternative loading method.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Another alternative is you buy one of Tromic's easy loading gadgets which is a windlass or winch that you attach to a pneumatic gun. The leverage is great as the line hauling the speartip back is wound on a base that is the diameter of a spear shaft. They have been discussed here and people have bought them.

More here https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/air-gun-easy-loader.74889/page-3#post-833349

Last edited:
dang. don't think it can be serviced?
Look, my father died last year. I switched to the air guns many years ago. That gun was custom made and was never reliable. You do not want it, trust me. You want something new and serviceable. Hydro-pneumatic guns use o-rings heavily so you would need to ask the seller to supply you with spares. Also as it seems to me due to your wrist limitations you need to stop being a pure consumer and learn a bit about the guns and their maintenance. When you deal with air and water tight hydraulics you better get up to speed. I routinely disassemble my guns, machine parts for it, made custom pump, etc. Otherwise you will be dropping $300 plus every second season. Air guns have to be babied, washed in fresh water after each hunt, periodically disassembled and o-ring lubricated with pure silicone paste, etc. At least this is how I see it

Another alternative is you buy one of Tromic's easy loading gadgets which is a windlass or winch that you attach to a pneumatic gun. The leverage is great as the line hauling the speartip back is wound on a base that is the diameter of a spear shaft. They have been discussed here and people have bought them.

Look, my father died last year. I switched to the air guns many years ago. That gun was custom made and was never reliable. You do not want it, trust me. You want something new and serviceable. Hydro-pneumatic guns use o-rings heavily so you would need to ask the seller to supply you with spares. Also as it seems to me due to your wrist limitations you need to stop being a pure consumer and learn a bit about the guns and their maintenance. When you deal with air and water tight hydraulics you better get up to speed. I routinely disassemble my guns, machine parts for it, made custom pump, etc. Otherwise you will be dropping $300 plus every second season. Air guns have to be babied, washed in fresh water after each hunt, periodically disassembled and o-ring lubricated with pure silicone paste, etc. At least this is how I see it
worth asking

This guy is selling spearguns from Ukraine which appear to new old Ukraine factory stock and a few other models which have had previous owners.

There are a couple of Aquatech guns shown, but they are not the lever loading models. You could ask him as he indicates that he can find guns if people let him know what they are looking for.

This guy is selling spearguns from Ukraine which appear to new old Ukraine factory stock and a few other models which have had previous owners.

There are a couple of Aquatech guns shown, but they are not the lever loading models. You could ask him as he indicates that he can find guns if people let him know what they are looking for.
thanks

Man I recommend a speargun like a seawolf roller with a two stage load. You can get 400% stretch out of a band with two 200% loads (such as two 40lb loads to achieve 80lbs loadforce)

Youre not alone here. I am working on a two stage roller that releases in a few weeks for many reasons such as convenience and for people like yourself

I would look into a two stage loading single roller such as a seawolf. Alemanni also makes one called their "monoroller" series, and pretty much any roller can be converted into one if you can tie your own bands. I am not sure why more people do not build them.

That is correct. You can have a custom inverter roller made to your needs. Just get a hold with one of the good manufacturers and they will suit you.

Reactions: QBlackreefco
You guys don't understand. The problem is not be not having the strength to load it. I can't put ANY stress on the wrist.
I can make my own roller, inverted or not. But it will not help. I need an entirely different way of loading.
In fact, rollers don't even reduce the strain. In rollers you use less force, but you use it for longer (farther), that's all. Total strain is same. You can't cheat physics.

Fortunately, though, I did invent something that seems to work fine. Two devices, in fact.
On was a prototype 3D printer, but the material was not strong enough. needs to be CNC machined out of aluminum.
But fortunately, the second and simpler one seems top be working fine so far. Thinking of maybe even putting out a product once I beta test it a bit longer.
Will post pictures. Just been busy.

Reactions: musubi
You guys don't understand. The problem is not be not having the strength to load it. I can't put ANY stress on the wrist.
I can make my own roller, inverted or not. But it will not help. I need an entirely different way of loading.
In fact, rollers don't even reduce the strain. In rollers you use less force, but you use it for longer (farther), that's all. Total strain is same. You can't cheat physics.

Fortunately, though, I did invent something that seems to work fine. Two devices, in fact.
On was a prototype 3D printer, but the material was not strong enough. needs to be CNC machined out of aluminum.
But fortunately, the second and simpler one seems top be working fine so far. Thinking of maybe even putting out a product once I beta test it a bit longer.
Will post pictures. Just been busy.
I'm interested to see what you came up with. I saw this thread earlier, but I wasn't sure what to even recommend. I was thinking if there is a way to load with straps over your elbows and maybe having a foot rest someplace. I don't know.

I saw a local guy once, with only 1 arm, shoot a bunch of fish with his gun. I wish I had stopped to ask him how he loaded it.

So are you shooting with your left hand? Does shooting the gun cause issue? I just recall you mentioned that your left wrist was also somewhat affected.

I'm interested to see what you came up with. I saw this thread earlier, but I wasn't sure what to even recommend. I was thinking if there is a way to load with straps over your elbows and maybe having a foot rest someplace. I don't know.

I saw a local guy once, with only 1 arm, shoot a bunch of fish with his gun. I wish I had stopped to ask him how he loaded it.

So are you shooting with your left hand? Does shooting the gun cause issue? I just recall you mentioned that your left wrist was also somewhat affected.
No. Shooting with right is fine. It's just the loading. Though since my gun is negatively buoyant with the spear, I mostly use both hands to hold it while swimming around looking for a target.
The device is simply hooks on my wrists. Plus a modification of the wishbone to make it a bit easier.

You could always buy this Neptune speargun which uses carbon dioxide cartridges. I think they consume all the gas in one shot. There were a number of different guns in the fifties and early sixties using these cartridges which were in abundant supply after the war as military surplus which meant that they were relatively cheap.

You could always buy this Neptune speargun which uses carbon dioxide cartridges. I think they consume all the gas in one shot. There were a number of different guns in the fifties and early sixties using these cartridges which were in abundant supply after the war as military surplus which meant that they were relatively cheap.
Like you said - in the 50's. Looked into it. As far as I could tell none are sold anymore. And finding one isn't easy (not to mention it would carry a collector price, not a user one even if you did)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT