• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

bungee swive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

visser

Jan 27, 2006
hi there all
I have just started spear fishing. I went out for my first time on the weekend the gun I have is a omer dragon. I was having no problems with it when I was loading it on the first notch but when I went to go to the second notch it broke the shooting line. So I rig the gun back up 100kg mono and 80kg snap swivel on it.
Do u think I have to put a bungee swivel on it to ?? and how do u make them ??
What do u think of the rigging on the gun and what do I have to change on it??
And can I put a second ruber on the gun ??

From al

Attachments

• 1dragon.jpg
    1dragon.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 199
  • 2drangon.jpg
    2drangon.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 3dragon.jpg
    3dragon.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 4dragon.jpg
    4dragon.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 190
  • dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Why did the shooting line break in the first instance?
Was the line old or worn?
To make a Bungie you will have to get some thin surgical rubber tubing and the line that you will use inside the bungie feed the line through the tubing and pinching one end stretch the rubber, hold the other end and allow the whole lot to collapse with the line bunched up inside the tubing.
Tie a constrictor knot at each end to seal the tube and trap the line inside.
Or just buy one from Adrenaline spearfishing.
No need for second rubber on the dragon, more power = less accuracy.

hi huan
The line was pre rigged when i got the gun new. it broke when i shot it on the second notch on the spear
i am going to have a go at makeing a bungie

I don't think that your new rigging will last very long if you have the loop from the shooting line attached to the swivel like that.
The bend in the mono at that point is quite severe and will fatigue the mono quickly.
Better if you took the swivel and mounted it onto your shooting line and then hooked the snap into the piece of black line on the muzzle or your new bungie.
BTW I would try and borrow or buy a crimper those crimps don't look secure.

The line was pre rigged when i got the gun new. it broke when i shot it on the second notch on the spear

How did the line break, it shouldn't break just because it is on the second notch or did the line get cut from the wishbone? :confused: :confused:

Also, its hard to tell from the picture but the crips look a bit wide and large for the line dia. Are they cripped right?
You may also want to melt the free end of the crimped mono so it doesn't pull out of the crips.

Last edited:
The Rob Allen bungees (much like Huans homemade design) are good and reasonably priced (about £3... about £5 with scarab clip...the latter incs. a big game swivel I believe, not sure about the former). I have seen some pictures of homemade muzzle bungees that used fairly thin rubber bungee rather than tubing...it did not look neat or strong though.

Bungees make loading the spearline on the line release a tad easier, help absorb shock from a hit but mobile fish (would prob. reduce shock of a missed spear on the muzzle). The muzzle clip (which you already have) is handy for removing a stuck spear, or removing the spear from the gun for travel, repair or replacement.

Thanks for that guys
I will be making some changes to the set up.
The original shooting line was the black line that is now on the front of the gun.
I think the it was cut by the wishbone and the crimps were made with a pair of pliers ill get a crimping tool this week

hi all
I have made some changes to the gun.
I put a new line on and a d.i.y bungie (thanks huan)
here are some pic's

Attachments

• ug1.jpg
    ug1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 204
  • ug2.jpg
    ug2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 203
  • ug3.jpg
    ug3.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 197
  • ug4.jpg
    ug4.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Neat job. On my gun the swivel is permanently attached to the bungee rather than the spear line -- presumably to
reduce what you might pull through a speared fish (& simplify swapping spears). Like in this picture[scroll right]:
sparidbig.jpg

Is that a hair band on the handle? If you attach your float-line there, will it be strong enough?
I have my float-line attached directly to the handle, in the unlikely event of getting a monster fish, the chain is:
MonsterFish -> spear -> spearline -> gun ->floatline ->float

-- I wouldn't want my link to fail between the gun & the float. I'd rather loose the fish than the gun (ain't she priddy!).

Last edited:
Nice job on the bungie, my direction can't have been as vague as I was imagining!
I think that the shark clip is attached to the handle with armour spring around Mono and then crimped, again a very neat job.

The shark clip is attached to the handle with armour spring around Mono
Thanks guys for all the help on setting up the gun

From al

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT