• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

buoy lead

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hello,
I have mares hydro flat buoy - how much weight do I need to put for stay the float vertical?

Thanks

Hmm not sure but for inflatable buoys I used several old tyre leads tied to cords I'd fitted.

I believe I once saw the late Peter Crawford (13x British Champion) with a single small dive weight strapped to his large inflatable float at a competition in Devon.

My hard Rob Allen float contains a hidden (lead?) Ballast inside. But some newer hard Rob Allen floats require an external weight if a flag needs to be displayed upright. RA sell a weight (again about the size of a small belt weight but this one more streamlined: long and thin for attaching to the float - presumably held by screws to the float.)

I wasn't familiar with that Mares buoy but when I googled it it appears to have a flag and I'm guessing that it won't float with the flag on top the way its comes. Is that correct? If so, it seems strange that a weight isn't included. Like Mr X, I have couple of Rob Allen hard floats and they come with a weight that screws to the bottom if you want to mount the optional float on top. Since I use those floats only in offshore locations where I don't think the flag is necessary, I remove the weight so that it has just that much more buoyancy. I don't care which side is up without the flag.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't think that it would take more than a few ounces to keep the flag on top if you can find a way to attache ti to the bottom.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for the quick reply,
Do you think that a 500 gram weight hanging from the bottom of the float will keep the flag vertical or is too much weight for such a float which is supposed to also hold the fish later?

Thx

I don't think anyone can guess how much weight it would take. Can you get some cheap lead sinkers from a fishing tackle shop and see what the minimum weight to keep it upright is?

Bill is right, of course. But 500g seems like a good starting point
"In the ballpark". ;)

OK, I did some research. I found the lead weights that came off my 7 liter and 12 liter Rob Allen hard floats. To my surprise, they were both the same size- 600 grams. But as you can see in the photo, the Rob Allen floats are almost round. Your float is wider and flatter, so I would think it would be more resistant to rolling.

Attachments

• IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT