• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

buoyancy compensation idea for freediver/spearo

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
idea is simple, have floating line attached to weight belt, and as spearo descends pulling more line into the water with him (her), line buoyancy will be progressively pulling diver up, more and more with depth. Having line buoyancy calibrated, perhaps with attached floats at regular intervals, theoretically it is possible to keep buoyancy fairly constant. What do you think, folks? I am sure someone somewhere have tried this already.

For spearfishing this sounds incredibly dangerous. Aside from being an easy way to get tanles, Why would you want to add bouyancy when youre trying to dive down? Sort of counter productve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the danger of entaglement, of course the less shite is attached the safer it is. I agree with you on this one. The idea of adding buoyancy is from me progressing into spearing during winter times with thicker wetsuit. Thicker wetsuit needs more weight to compensate the suit's buoyancy. At depth, when wetsuit is squeezed and lose its buoyancy, I end up being way too heavy and drop down like rock. You won't understand if you haven't done this. Many folks would agree with me on this part. Line that attaches from the surface, many blue water spearo's using it attached to the float and then to the gun, so the line is alraedy there, it just becomes buoyancy compensation device. And line being floating type will not be lose all over, it will be pre-loaded and fairly tight with depth from all the floats attached to it. I personally think the idea is sound (genious actually), its just you ordinary mortal folks can't get the grasp of it hehe.

maybe you should dive with less weight with a thicker wetsuit?

in a 5mm, I wear 4.4 or 5 lbs and am neutral at -14m in fresh water.

Exactly what sort of "floating line" do you envisage? What diameter & material do you think would provide you with the amount of buoyancy required? A 15m pool "noodle" perhaps? :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT