• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Buying new fins...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

squip

Mar 26, 2002
Hi, I'm thinking about buying some new fins from www.scubastore.com.

Currently I have technisub Tristar fins, that are a bit too small.

Im looking for a allround fin, that are good for just playing around in the water, do some newbie freediving, and also for some scuba diving.

One fin that looked good to me was Cressi Freefrog, what comments do you guys have about that fin?

Thanks!

if you're going to use it for "fooling around" and scuba, go with the Master Frog.
same materials as the Gara fins, and long too.

I was thinking about a fin that i won't need any boots for.(I have boots though)

But i see the Master Frog as an alternative as well

Whats the pro and cons with having "bootless" comparing to have fins you need boots for?

Energy transfer on the power stroke.

Hello Squib,

Assuming a good fit, the major difference between open-heeled and full-foot pockets is energy transfer on the powerstroke. A full-foot pocket provides heel leverage on the powerstroke and pulls on the return, while an open-heel does not. In general a full-foot pocket is more efficient, while an open-heel is 'more convenient'.

If you dive predominantly from a boat or sandy beaches, then full-foot pockets/neoprene socks would seem to be the optimum choice. If you dive from rocky beaches then a heeled boot and open-heeled pocket would seem to be the most prudent choice.

Personally, I prefer full-foot longfins for apnea and scuba diving, as the difference in propulsion/efficiency is enormous. For your activities, a good full-foot fin would be the Cressi Gara LD's.

I hope this helps.

Happy diving,

Ward2

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

I think ill go for a full-foot pocket along with a pair of Cressi 3mm socks(for comfort).

But then the question is what full-foot fins should i go for?
I'm about 193cm, 82kg and good physical shape.

I'm buying from www.scubastore.com, please help me make a good choice. Price: not more then around 50$

BTW
A couple of days ago i saw Cressi Freefrog, but I can't find them today, instead i find Cressi Rondine Frog, with same price and picture as the Freefrog had. Is it the same fin, but diffrent names?

I'd also reccomend a full foot fin as long as possible. I use my esclapez fins for freediving as well as scuba/tech diving. They work very well and theres no comparison between them and the traditional short,stiff blade fin designed for scuba. Always buy the best you can afford. Later.
Jay

Squip, just go for a pair of fine apnea fins:wave
I have 3 pairs of fins: Cressi Spacefrog (good open heel fins, my first pair of fins), Cressi Gara2000LD and the Gara2000HF.
I haven't used the Spacefrog for over 2 years now.
The apnea fins are better for scubadiving. I would only use the spacefrog again in very very cold water scuba diving.
The GaraHF is too stiff for fooling around or snorkeling, but it's ideal for deep diving.
I would go for the GaraLD: good for everything, unless you want to break the WR in CW :king
For me the style of my stroke and movements underwater is very important: you can't have a real good stroke with open heel fins.
When using my apnea fins I feel like a fish, everything is floating in harmony...
When I see scubadivers (whoa, we have lots of scuba divers in Germany), I just laugh:D , because they move so funny: no harmony, no style, like small underwater-trucks.
Apnea rules! ;)

I'm with senor Styron here, Squip. Go get a pair of Esclapaz fullfoots, and hit the water and learn how to use 'em. These are great starter fins and a lot of us still use them for our everyday stuff. Let those elitist swine spend huge kroner on Carbon fins and wonder why you just cruise by...
Going with longfins is a test of your patience, but once you hit that magic zone, you're stylin, er, Styron.

sven

Just needed some basic fins, now that i really don't have any(the once I have are too small). Since the Rondine Frog was open heel, i went for some Black Avati Tre fins. Tried them before and liked them.

And as Chefkock said: You ain't limited to 1 pair of fins. Fins are really cheap at scubastore, so I think I will buy another pair later this summer.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT