• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Byocancy explain

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Vasilisspear87

Mar 26, 2016
Hey Guys!!I am new to freediving and spearfishing(still learning the basics)i start freedive 3 months ago.also i swim in a pool to improve my technique.But when i full inhale in the pool i cant stay under water.and when i exhale(no air in lungs) i stay underwater but havent oxygen to stay enough time.i saw some champions stay underwater in a pool and make a dynamic 200 meters!!what can i do for that?

You need weights or you have to swim to stay down. Many use a neck weight.

info on how to make your neckweight. (try to get some softlead used by scuba divers)

start of with 2kg or so(maybe with an extra kilo around the waist) and start from there. You will need to fidle around with the weights a bit. Some use a thin neoprene pants to prevent their legs from sinking.
always use the same FULL inhale else it is hard to stay neutral. Ofcourse a freedivce course would be best and get a buddy. There are some good freedive books available as well.

Thanks guys!i will give a try.in the sea already wearing weightened vest and belt and have problem to go down and stay(in shallow water).5kg vest and 4kg belt.maybe also doing something wrong there.

If you want to be neutrally buoyant in the sea at lets say 1.5 or 2m you would need quite some weight. if you wear a wetsuit, you would need a lot more. It is as simple as adding more weight step by step. Put all the kilo's on the weightbelt and neckweight, that way you can always drop them when you need to ascend in an emergency. (which is not possible with your vest i guess)

Hi there. Weighting is the thing most struggle with in the beginning days especially if you havnt had the proper instructions from a reputable freedive outfit.
a few basics (as that is what you said you want to learn):
- boyancy in freswater is different than in saltwater. So the very long distance dinamic dives you see on videos are likely in freshwater pools. Less weight needed than in salwater.
- you want to make sure you are boyant enough that you can pop back up to the surface on shallow dives without the need for kicking much. A rooky mistake is to think you can extend your dives by popping on loads of weight which will save energy going down. The obvious problem comes in when you have that dive where you get hypoxic and then have to kick like hell to get back up to the surface because of your very excessive weighting.
- variable weight dives is something I used to do in the beginning because, like you, I couldn't get down easily, mainly because of my very thick wetsuit and lack of weights. My solution was a big ass rock which I 'hugged' and swam around with in the shallows. When I felt like I am running low on air, I'd let go and pop straight back up like a cork. It works fine, and it is a great tool for improving your duckdive to get to the damn rock without kicking too much and wasting air on the way down. good for up to 5m diving.
- You dont need to exhale all your air for reduced boyancy. In turn you do not need a massive breath to do very long dives (long for your ability). It turns out that you can achieve better relaxation when your chest isnt bulging with a maximum load of air. Less air = les positive boyancy + better relaxation which in turn is likely to = extended dive time.
- the other trick is the use of a rope, or diveline. I use multiple divelines (all the anchor lines in the bay) which allow me to dive with no weight and full lungs. I pull down on the ropes to the depth I want and enjoy a relaxing float back up to the surface.

Hope this help a little. I am sure you will find many more snipets of advice from persons way more qualified to coment than I.
Enjoy your diving and stay safe.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT