• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cairns Freediving (20m) day trips

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

simonhc

Dec 10, 2002
Hi All,

I'm just off to Cairns, Queensland for a week's holiday/family visit. Can anyone recommend some good sites / operators for day trips out to the reefs/coral islands? (I hear a lot of places have been damaged recently, more by coral bleaching than crown of thorns). I'm looking for a place with good snorkelling for my girlfriend and nice walls/bommies in the 10 - 20 metre range for myself with good live coral and pelagics (a tall order?). Anyone with recent experience out there able to help?

Thanks

Simon

hi

Mate I work up here in Pt douglas on Calypso, I have been on a few boats outta cairns but most experience has been up here. Most of the boats up here go to a bommie each day. This is what you are looking for a vertical drop to 20m.

There are lots of good operations just pick one that is outer reef not a costal island operation, the vis at places like Green island, Low island is pretty crap.

Most of the boats are not to keen on tourists freediving, becasue we have had quite a few people blackout and die on the reef charter boats so they may not be too keen on you diving to 20m.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT