• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

California White Sea Bass 6/26

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sask

Jun 11, 2002
here's the report for yesterdays activities. met up with Rick Dawg at La Jolla cove, launched off Boomers by 7am. Tide was up, kelp wasn't as thick, kicked out to the "Outside Kelp" in the deep water. Vis was 15', water was fairly warm. Lots of Top smelt, sand bass, and rivers of baitfish 15-20 feet down.

First "ghost" sighting.... i was watching a passing school of barracuda and as i scanned right i could make out the outline of a M O N S T E R white!!! WSB blend in amazingly with milky water, the only thing you can make out is the white tips of their mouth, fins and tail. This fish was easily in the 50lb class!! Bythe time i could swing my MT5 from my left to my right the fish was gone. I waited a couple of minutes scanning...but nothing. My heart was in my throat..pounding... i have never seen a fish that big underwater. I shouted to Rick telling him about the fish and that "they" were in here.

Second Ghost sighting 30 minutes later. again, watching some barracuda, (pattern here) i spot another white about 12-15 feet away, half as big.... i line up, wait for a decent shot and thunk!!! the fish takes off almost straight down. We are in 75feet plus of water and i don't want to let too much line out so i fight the fish only allowing a few feet out. Luckingly it wrapped itself up about 20 feet down. i shouted to rick and he came over and helped me cut the fish out. My heart was pounding soo fast i couldn't catch my breath... i attempted to dive dwon to get the fish myself but i only made it maybe 10 feet!! lol... thanks Rick

Third ghost sighting on the way back in. In the middle of of some heavy kelp there are a few "break areas" where is there is no kelp, almost like bald spots if you will. just off to my left i see the "ghostly outline" of another white....i wait patiently for a few seconds slowly lining up for a shot and thunk...another solid hit. I was in some seriously thick kelp and still pretty deep so i had to make sure that i let out very little line. this fish was strong and pulled me under twice.... my snorkle kept filling up with water and i couldn't catch my breath so let out line slowly until i could "regain" myself. I shouted to rick who was nearby, and came over for another assist...but this time....(this is where the kids should leave the room)....rick is shouting obscenities at me about how pissed he is and that he is never fishing with me again.

Now with two fat whites on my stringer and halfway back to shore i am beginning to cramp up. i have over 60lbs of fish (dead weight) and too much weight on my weight belt (my belt was rigged for my 5mm suit, but i wore my 3mm today and never reduced the weight). To top it off i attracted the attention of a seal that decided to follow (pretty close) me. the damn thing kept swimming underneath me looking for a free meal....but i was more worried about attracting the attention of a big bull seal.

fourth ghost sighting, almost to shore in about 12 feet of water, i spot another white, about 15-17lbs, in the same vicinity i missed another white about 20 lbs a couple days prior. it was a bad angle shot and i shot right over the top of its back....again ( i tend to do that alot).

too exhausted to reload my gun i make my way to shore. rick takes a few pictures for me...i will have those in a few days. i weighed the fish and both were 28lbs. i head over to the "Riffe warehouse" to show julie and jay. they take a few pics (thanks for the sandwich julie!!!!) to post on their website.

all in all, it was a great day!! thanks for all your help rick, it would have taken me forever to cut those fish out!!!

Sask

Sounds like youv'e been getting some action. Actually these stories are annoyingly familiar being that I always seem to be the "Rick". I have a friend named Tad who always does this too me. Yes he is a good spearfisherman but we are about the same level. Anyway, it has happened more than once that I come in empty handed only to see him pull up a stringer with some quaility fish. I had been blue water hunting for almost a year and had not yet landed my first Ono (wahoo) when Tad decides he wants to try the blues. I told Josh that Tad is gonna get one before me. Sure enough, on his second blue water dive, Tad connects with and lands a nice 40 pounder unassisted. I am truely happy for the guy but it does get irritating always being the "Rick".

Brad

Nice fish Sask. Sven and I are planning a little trip around the middle of Sept. to try our hand at some of your fish. Any advice? Anyone else willing to share a "secret spot " or two w/ a coupla' outsiders?;)
Jay

Hey! Who's he callin' an outsider?? Just because the North and South are still feudin' here...
There's a mail heading to my So Cal contingent, so pay your ISP bill and stay tuned.

Last edited:
....and a bit of an update from La Jolla....

:p
Okay, all you hungry hunters....here's an update from Rick Dawg, one of Sask's buddies, from yesterday (Friday the 25th July)....
"La Jolla Update:
The water was still soupy a couple days ago in the kelp. A buddy of mine went out with some of his friends to Boomers and dove from a boat. They swam around for a couple of hours not seeing anything,when my buddy mark decided to head off away from the group. Sure enough, a group of yellowtails swam right by in the murk and he drilled a 20 or so pounder. Threw that in the boat then shot a 20"calico. Again, threw it in the boat and set out for more. He happened upon a single white seabass in the kelp and shot it. It was also in the 20's. Lucky bastard! Im heeaded out sunday, If anyone is interested let me know. Good luck out there."
Rick "Good,bad, I'm the guy with the gun."- Army of Darkness

PLEASE TAKE ME!! =)
I was at the cove this friday ( 8\8\03) and saw some nice fish also. I am still a total newbie but am getting the hang of things fast. I didn't bring my gun friday because I wanted to spend more time practicing diving. I want to find some people that will teach me some things about spearing. I have a good mask and snorkel set, OK fins and a new JBL Woody Magnum that I have only shot it once just metting around in Dana Point a few weeks ago. I am still in need of weights and a wetsuit. The water sure gets cold fast going down in search for fish... I still dont know what other things I will want or need.. I still dont know what I would do if I DID catch a fish. So pointers and seeing other peoples setups would be awesome. I work as an EMT so my work scheduial can be open to different days off. Would anyone like to teach a new dog some old tricks?

Originally posted by MedicChris
PLEASE TAKE ME!! =)
I was at the cove this friday ( 8\8\03) and saw some nice fish also. I am still a total newbie but am getting the hang of things fast. I didn't bring my gun friday because I wanted to spend more time practicing diving. I want to find some people that will teach me some things about spearing. I have a good mask and snorkel set, OK fins and a new JBL Woody Magnum that I have only shot it once just metting around in Dana Point a few weeks ago. I am still in need of weights and a wetsuit. The water sure gets cold fast going down in search for fish... I still dont know what other things I will want or need.. I still dont know what I would do if I DID catch a fish. So pointers and seeing other peoples setups would be awesome. I work as an EMT so my work scheduial can be open to different days off. Would anyone like to teach a new dog some old tricks?
.:hmm
Chris: You might want to check the topic 'Murk attack' so we are all on the same page.
OceanSwimmer/Cynthia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT