• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cambodian Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks so much dude, really helpful. I arrived on koh rong samloem yesterday evening to mpai bay but think I'll head to the western beaches tomorrow as I feel less people will make them safer along with the better viz and reef structure. Lots of foreigners working here (who are curious about my giant bag) have told me that spearfishing is illegal here and that they have witnessed people losing their gear. Everywhere online it says it's legal in Cambodia, I don't understand. Don't want to compromise Sumatra or Borneo (my next destinations) so I'm going to be very cautious about entry and exit spots, along with carrying my gear about. Do I really need to constantly be looking over my shoulder? I've seen locals with guns here. Sorry for the 100 questions just really don't want to lose my gear. I'm from Kenya on the equator of the east coast but do a lot of spearing in Tanzania , Mozambique , Madagascar and their islands. Reefs have been whacked out a bit but seriously good blue water and deeper reef diving. Tanzanian islands have some of the best doggies in the world. Happy to point you to spots or take you out (if I'm around) !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e7d135e8098c102ed7f8050f6522aee6.png

This is all I could find concerning spearfishing in any government documents

Yeah spent a bit of time up the north of the island around Mpai Bay and across the north east and haven't shot a huge amount of fish. Best probably head down to Huba Huba or Robinson Bungalows and use that as your base but there is a dive shop there and they do all their ssi and PADI courses in the bay. Kind of double edged sword but if you head north or south of bay your golden!! Just tell people it's fishing gear if they ask. I've always found locals to very friendly and sometimes they'll point you in the right direction. I think as long as your smart about it not waiving the gun or swimming around dive boats you'll have no problem. I've never had any problem and had cops checking out the gun at the dock just giving a smile and there are a lot of locals who do it as well. Sounds like a good shout I'm definitely going to have to add it the list of places to go!

Have you seen the island across from Mpai Bay looks pretty interesting and I heard from a local guy that owns one of the hostels that there's really good fishing but unless you have a boat it'll be hard got to but you could chance the swim I think it's under a kilometer so if your fit it's an idea.

Attachments

• ccc_KRBaseDataOutputsCommercialFishDensity2011.jpg
    ccc_KRBaseDataOutputsCommercialFishDensity2011.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1639.PNG
    IMG_1639.PNG
    761 KB · Views: 362
Have you seen the island across from Mpai Bay looks pretty interesting and I heard from a local guy that owns one of the hostels that there's really good fishing but unless you have a boat it'll be hard got to but you could chance the swim I think it's under a kilometer so if your fit it's an idea.

This is all I could find concerning spearfishing in any government documents

Hey mate, I've been on KRS about a week. It's rained non stop h til yesterday. I have 5 kids so my water time is highly restricted but got out to the local reef in Saracen bay.

The vis is shockingly bad and being from Queensland, Aus, the water looks exactly like what we call bull shark water. Today looks like it's clearing up and I might have a crack at the southern entrance to the bay, on my map it looks to drop to 18m, about the deepest you're going to see here.

I know there are cobia around, but I've seen none. Just lots of barracuda among the reefies and one nice looking queenies. Are you hanging around still?

The locals all say under the lighthouse is the best spot, but I haven't tried there yet.

Hey sorry to hear about the rain nothing worse. If you make time it is definitely worth getting out to the west side of the island. I think you are wasting your time in Saracen Bay I knew a guy working and fishing there and he would head out at dawn to walk to the other side.

Luckily you won't have to deal with bulls here only whale sharks if your lucky enough to see one. Nice let me know what the vis is like!!

Yeah lots of nice fish to be got Cobia trevally Snapper grouper tusk fish barracuda queenies sweet lips and further out sailfish. I'm living in Phnom Penh but I'm off to Jakarta for two weeks back the 13th if your still around?

Nice one I haven't heard that never ventured that far south would be very interested to hear about it if you go.

Jonas

Hey sorry to hear about the rain nothing worse. If you make time it is definitely worth getting out to the west side of the island. I think you are wasting your time in Saracen Bay I knew a guy working and fishing there and he would head out at dawn to walk to the other side.

Luckily you won't have to deal with bulls here only whale sharks if your lucky enough to see one. Nice let me know what the vis is like!!

Yeah lots of nice fish to be got Cobia trevally Snapper grouper tusk fish barracuda queenies sweet lips and further out sailfish. I'm living in Phnom Penh but I'm off to Jakarta for two weeks back the 13th if your still around?

Nice one I haven't heard that never ventured that far south would be very interested to hear about it if you go.

Jonas
Hey Jonas, can you find me on FB, my name is Julius Kieser. Much easier to get hold of me there. I'm building a house on KRS at the moment. The local builder fucked it up a bit, so I have to hang around for a little bit, not sure if I'll still be here when you get here, but I'll definitely be back for about 2 months around xmas.

Hi Guys,

Jumping in here...hope it is OK.
My wife needs a beach holiday and I need to spear...What are conditions like in late January early February?
I dived Thailand early January last year and viz was poo. Would hate the same to happen.
Don't get me wrong, I love being on the beach with my wife, but I so need to dive ;)
Koh Rong Samloem looks pretty good especially if you can get shore dives in and then have a few boat dives too.

Thanks for any advice and would be nice to hook up with someone if we get there.

Cheers!

Darryll

Hi Guys,

Jumping in here...hope it is OK.
My wife needs a beach holiday and I need to spear...What are conditions like in late January early February?
I dived Thailand early January last year and viz was poo. Would hate the same to happen.
Don't get me wrong, I love being on the beach with my wife, but I so need to dive ;)
Koh Rong Samloem looks pretty good especially if you can get shore dives in and then have a few boat dives too.

Thanks for any advice and would be nice to hook up with someone if we get there.

Cheers!

Darryll
Hi
Waves should be down and vis ok ..it's not blue water style but ok.
On samloem and the southern part of koh rong be careful with the dive school boats. They call the police.
Nils

Hi Nils!
Thanks for the info.
It's legal to spear there though, or?
Hate having to dodge bubble blowers and always be looking over my shoulder.

What do you do our there?

Heya,

I've been watching this thread for a while. I'm living in PP now, but due to COVID, I had to leave my last spot abruptly leaving all my gear behind. Since the travel restricitions are so tight atm, I'm looking to buy new gear to head out to Koh Rong and more for the upcoming "New Years" break. If anyone has any contact info or advice I'd be keen. I'm fairly experienced and looking for a crew to shoot with as well.

Cheers,
J

I am planning on buying some property in the next year or so close to the Cambodian border on the Thai side. Would love to meetup in Cambodia in the future, so thought I would post in the thread to get notifications. I will most likely be doing border runs into Cambodia when all this insanity ends, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have found the little spearfishing I have done in Thailand very fun. I grew up spearfishing California and there were not many people doing it back then, now there are a ton. Moving to Thailand kinda reminded me of those early California days in that you wont find many others spearing in most areas. Point being I would love to get into the Cambodian waters in the future.

Last edited:
Hey guys

Jonas here and I'm new to the forum. Currently living in Cambodia and was wondering if any of you guys are also based here and would like to buddy up for a bit of fishing as it's always better then one. Even if you're passing through and I'm free in the dates because there is decent size cuda and cobia and never have to worry about the throng of scuba divers.

Thanks
Hi Jonas, I live in Siem Reap. Just bought a speargun (very new at it) and like to understand where to fish / what to expect. I plan on Koh Rong ilands end of August. I could only try shallow reefs - free diving. Could you give any insights?

In the conversation here you all are freediving or scuba? Also to stay in Robinsons on the west side you need to pay anything?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT