• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cammo for spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice looking job, good graphics too! It all looks like it will do as good a job as any other camo. I like the red mono, Ideal if you get a Bass diving into the kelp once speared

For what its worth, I tried red mono for a while. It showed up great on the surface, but red is the first color to disappear as you descend. It ended up looking just like black mono at any depth at all.

This stuff is the best I've used so far for showing up down in the shade and the murk. However, it only comes in 2 mm as far as I know, and that might be too thick for your lighter Euro guns.

Attachments

• yellowcoil.JPG
    yellowcoil.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 178
  • yellowmono.JPG
    yellowmono.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: Mr. X
On the subject of red camo this apparently in the new elios red suit
I bet you already placed an order.rofl

Chris, nice job. You should consider getting a Seacsub XLite Combat mask & snorkel, their camo is very similar to the pattern & colour you've used.

I don't think I will camo my gun though, it would be near impossible to find if dropped already. Also, I've decided that for this year, "black is the new camo".;)

Last edited:
Not this year mate, I have suits coming out of my ears but next time maybe.

I found a table in a diving book showing absorption of colours at different depths - reds disappear first at 4.5m, then oranges and yellows. Green doesn't disappear until 19 m, so perhaps green mono ( does it exist?) or braid might be better. I think there was a similar discussion before around green vs. red lasers - I think the green have got cheaper recently.

Red also looks nicer for wedding arches!:)

Here are some pix of DIY camo on my cyranos

first black bedliner paint, then artist acrylic tube paint...had it on for about 8 months and still going strong!!!

Oops! Sorry Bill, you're quite right - it must be the age!

I can post the table if anyone's interested ( i.e. if they're trying orange or blue mono out!):)

Hiya

Just to throw you guys a curve ball!!

I also believed that red was the first colour to dis-appear under water. However, over the last few days, the sea was crappy and i spent quite a bit of time reading the American "Sport Fishing" magazine. One article in particular was very interesting. They were testing the invisibility of Flouro-carbon lines of various colours and they then show a photo of all the lines at 25'. The RED line was the MOST visible at 25'!!

From personal experience, i've never had very good success when fishing with red line on a rod and reel!!

Food for thought......:D:D

Hmmm this is becoming more interesting by the post?
It would seem that the scientist believe red is the first colour to "loose its colour"! but the evidence is not conclusive?

Hmmm this is becoming more interesting by the post?
It would seem that the scientist believe red is the first colour to "loose its colour"! but the evidence is not conclusive?

All my diving life I've read that red is the first color to go. For years I was into underwater photography and even in clear water, photos at any depth at all look blue and green because red has been filtered out. That is why we need flash to restore color balance.

But more specifically about mono- when I used it on my speargun, it was just like using black at any depth at all. That green stuff really does show up better than anything I've ever tried when I'm trying to find a fish tangled up in the kelp in dim light.

I would guess thats because it was fluorocarbon.

25' is probably not deep enough for the red light to have disappeared. I know I've been at 9m and the red writing on my gun was still bright red, so that side of things can be ruled out.

Now fluorocarbon line is said to have the same refractive index as water, so the light hitting it is treated in the same way as water does, so the theory is it is far less visible under water. In this case the clear lines would be less visible than the red, before you reach the depths neccessary for the red light to be fully absorbed.

Thats just for fluorcarbon lines though, normal Mono has a different refractive index, so reflects light differently.

The rate at which any colour is filtered out will be dependant on other factors than depth of water alone. You will notice red disappearing faster in murky water than in clear water, the nature of the sediment will also have an effect.

The most important thing to remember is that fish do see things differently to us. Look at this from a point of view of evolution; If fish hunt at a variety of depths we can assume that their eyes will have adapted to see some colours better than others, reasonable? It's also likely that the fish will have become more sensitive to colours that penetrate deeper into the water than the longer wavelength colours so as to make better use of the available light. Cats have much better night vision than us, we all accept that so why not fish? I think I'm right in saying that many scientists believe fish don't actually see colour as such but as a black and white contrast driven image used in conjunction with input from the lateral line.

Just curious then, as to why the ever popular red-head fishing lure is such a deadly colour......rofl

Just curious then, as to why the ever popular red-head fishing lure is such a deadly colour......rofl
Does it move? Being red won't make it invisible just a colour temperature that is similar to kelp and other weedy stuff. A lure seen in open water will still give a big contrast

Not sure about clever but here it is.

Attachments

• light_spectral_absorption_water.jpg
    light_spectral_absorption_water.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 189
So how come we can see red mullet on the bottom then?

Ha!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT