• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can a very tight mask-fit inhibit proper EQ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hookonaworm

Nov 6, 2017
Hello guys,
being relatively new to freediving I have a question.

I have, like many other beginners, been struggling with equalizing, especially head down. I am in the process of learning to Frenzel equalise properly. It's slow work, but I'm getting there.
I have a moustache/beard. This has always presented me with the problem of a leaking mask. My solution so far has been to pull the mask-strap really tight. I have had very little to no leaking since, but the mask sits uncomfortably tight against my face, to the point where an imprint of the mask is visible on my face for several hours after freediving.
Browsing through other posts here on the forum, I came across a comment from Mr. Solomons (who of course is a pro and knows what he is talking about), linking a too tight mask with EQ problems.
Could a proper shave, and thus looser mask be a solution to my EQ Problems?
many thanks and sorry for the Long post :p

First off a looser mask will be more comfortable and enjoyable on a whole, in terms of solving you equalization issues, it really depends on what the actual cause of your problems is.

If you are having a soft palate issue where it is getting stuck in the closed position, then yes a looser mask will help you by reducing the strength of the vacuum created in the sinuses. If you are having non-soft palate related issues then the mask tightness wont change much. It is possible to equalize the ears even with a massive vacuum in the mask, its possible to take a sphera down to 35+m without equalizing it, even as it gets super tight it shouldn't affect your ability to EQ the ears as long as your technique is right.

Try equalizing a few meters with just a nose clip (or just pinch nose if you don't have one) and no mask. If the EQ works fine then you have to shave because its the mask creating issues, if you still have problems then its something other than sinus vacuum creating the problems.

In any case it is recommended to have the mask as loose as possible. One of my buddies, although it looked funny, would shave a tiny strip under his nose just to have the mask seal properly. Petroleum jelly on the hairs can also help form the seal.

Reactions: calledpaul
For a workable compromise - you can shave off the top "strip" of your moustache, the part right under your nose. In my case at least, the mask does not really need a wide area to cover - it forms a good enough seal right up against my nose. But for the best comfort and seal I will remove my moustache entirely.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

My primal Problem is I think related to the soft palate, since equalising head up is much easier, even wearing a tight mask.
Trying this without the mask makes absolute sense *bumps own head*, I 'll give that a go first thing.
I'll keep working on my Frenzel as well, hopefully that won't take long.
And I think I'll give the shave a go.
I'll update if or when I have my breakthrough! :p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT