• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can anyone ID this Indian Ocean deepwater species ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Close enough, the wind changed direction and that was it!!!

Went this morning and qwas shivering after an hour. Winter suit is coming out of the wardrobe for tommorow.

hi

Brad im pretty sure it is the same as the Onaga. Do you have any pics or hawaiin names for Green Jobbies :p

cheers

Originally posted by shaneshac
Close enough, the wind changed direction and that was it!!!

Went this morning and qwas shivering after an hour. Winter suit is coming out of the wardrobe for tommorow.

I still dive with t-shirt:D

Hi W3AC,

Sorry for the late reply, me just got back home from out of the country.

It sure looks very familiar but the EHU seems redder and has a light yellow line on the body. I think maybe it is some sort of sub species.

There is no fun in shooting it, they come to surrender their lives just like Amberjack. However the meat is....:p :p

IYA

Ivan,
Check out this site http://home.hawaii.rr.com/spearfishing/hawaii_fish_species.htm
This site has pics of Uku (green jobfish), Mu (porgy), and a bunch of similar fish. Click on the other types of fish species and I think we got a lot of similar species. The Uku is actually my nemesis. To date I have landed two. I have shot and landed more Ono (wahoo) and Mahimahi (dolphin fish) than these guys. One of the best eating fish IMO.

Iya,
I can't help but be jealous about you having these guys coming in and presenting easy shots. I gotta get over there one day.

Brad

hi

Hey brad what size do you get your Green jobbies over there. Im still searching for the biggest taken by a spearo. So far the biggest I have heard and seen a pic of is a 14.5kg Jobbie taken here on the reef by a guy called Andrew boomer.

Iya which country you been visiting

cheers

Hi W3,

I will trade in my dog tooth tuna for a wahoo.....any day. I never even seen a wahoo underwater..............YET....:waterwork

Hi Ivan,

Me been in Singapore, boring and expensive to stay.....no fun.
Just took a yacht back from there. Pounding like hell all the 500+ n.miles journey back to Jakarta. I was doing two days run of 11 hours and 13 hours. Now my face is sun burned and looked like those local Australian aborigin (spelling ?? )....:D. At least all went well and that's why I am so horny to go to my Tuna Alley tonight..... :p....to do some shooting tomorrow.

Originally posted by Iyadiver
Hi W3,

I will trade in my dog tooth tuna for a wahoo.....any day. I never even seen a wahoo underwater..............YET....:waterwork

hi

No way Iya keep those Doggies anyday :cool:

Local Aborigine eh :D :D :D

Any Doggies lately ;)

Originally posted by Iyadiver

At least all went well and that's why I am so horny to go to my Tuna Alley tonight..... :p....to do some shooting tomorrow.

hi

So horny eh :mute

cheers

Sorry about the slow reply but I just got back to the office this morning. Went blue water this Saturday and managed a small Rainbow Runner. Other than that it was pretty boring. Lots of bait but now big pelagics. There are stroies of guys landing fish in the area but I guess it just wasn't our day. Any way, check out this site http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records.cfm This site has names weights and even pics of some of the state record fish. Most are taken by line fisherman but a few belong to us spearfishermen. BTW Ivan, the record jobfish was taken by spear in 1999. It was a toad weighing in at 37.4 pounds (17 kg). The average uku that I see tend to go around 10 pounds. I have seen some bombs that were easilly over 20 but of course no shot. Never tasted a doggie, how does it compare to yellowfin or wahoo? I hear they are really good eating.

Brad

I used to sell Yellowfin tuna so I can say that, Doggies and Yellowfin Tuna taste both just as good. However good yellowfin meat has nice red colour but Doggie is more of white, some 20kg up can have a red meat but usually it is more of white. Doggie is scaless like a Spanish Mackerel but Yellowfin tuna has tougher skin and a bit of tiny scales.

One thing I like about a Doggie is, it is rare that you can find them in the market.......YF Tuna is common. That is for my area.

hi

Holly %^%& Brad 37lb Jobfish that is too big, imagine seeing that it would look freaky :p

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT