• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can extreme breath holding damage you?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ike

Apr 3, 2002
This might be something you've heard before and if its just me being ignorant,sorry-I'm new,but can long term breathholding give you brain damage? - I mean, what it all boils down to is starving your brain of oxygen,right? Whats the score?
PS,I do like to over-use commas.....

Comment

This question about brain damage is brought up so frequently, I think we need a special FAQ page or 'document' like the equalizing document to point people to.

To make a long story short, brain damage begins several minutes after you black out. The famous '4-minute' rule starts AFTER the blackout. So, unless you routinely black out for long periods, you're fine.

When actually diving, you experience TOO MUCH oxygen because of the higher pressure at depth. This is like a cheap way to get hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Oh dear....I had a feeling it was going to be one of those "get asked all the time" questions,but I had to know.I'm sure theres plenty of information on this site about it anyway but sometimes its difficult to find specific information.Thanks for putting my mind at ease anyway.

Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT