• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can Medication for Enlarged Prostate Affect Freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Philip Fennell

Mar 23, 2014
Hello,

I’m in my early 50s now and I was recently diagnosed with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) which is enlargement of the prostate. One of the issues I’ve had is more frequent nighttime urination for which I was proscribe a drug containing Tamsulosin Hydrochloride. Checking the WDA database it is not a banned substance. Has anyone in the same position as me experienced any observable effects on their freediving, for example a difference in how they feel during a breath-hold? Have you found yourself more hypoxic at the end of a DYN swim that would normally be quite easy for you. Have you felt more lightheaded in general? I’ve had one incidence of passing-out when standing up too quickly.

I have been on the medication for one month now and and my dives don’t feel like they used to.

In addition, I’ve now been prescribed Finasteride to reduce the size of my prostate. It is an alpha-blocker, but not a banned substance either, and I’m wondering if anyone out there have had any experience with this medication too.

Finally, you men in your mid to late forties onwards, if you notice changes like more frequent urination, if you haven’t seen your doctor about it then please do. It could be benign, it might not... in which case early diagnos is vital.

Hi I have been on tamsulosin for three years now, haven’t noticed any difficulties with diving , bottom times are as usual. Sometimes I do feel a little light headed, but other than that no severe side effects. I am not a competitive freediver , only a recreational spear fisherman with down times up to two and a half minutes, I don’t push it.

Hi I have been on tamsulosin for three years now, haven’t noticed any difficulties with diving , bottom times are as usual. Sometimes I do feel a little light headed, but other than that no severe side effects. I am not a competitive freediver , only a recreational spear fisherman with down times up to two and a half minutes, I don’t push it.
@prospector Thanks for the feedback. It’s good to know you’ve not been overly affected, but it’s interesting you’ve noticed the lightheadedness too.

i tried tamulosin and it made me seasick when i went diving on it. luckily i was able to stop taking it.

I'm about to start taking Tamsulosin in the evenings (still in my early 40s though). I'll report back if it affects my diving. If it does I'll have to find alternatives to the medication - I enjoy diving too much.

I'm about to start taking Tamsulosin in the evenings (still in my early 40s though). I'll report back if it affects my diving. If it does I'll have to find alternatives to the medication - I enjoy diving too much.
Hi I would be interested in knowing about alternatives to tamsulosin if you happen to find any, good luck with the diving, I don’t feel it bothered mine much, Cheers.

Hi I would be interested in knowing about alternatives to tamsulosin if you happen to find any, good luck with the diving, I don’t feel it bothered mine much, Cheers.
It made me quite unwell, so I was only on it for 2 months. It also turned out my prostate is fine, there was another issue.

I also tried Tamsulosin, it was not the best option for my body. It didn't help me to solve the problem. I tried a lot of different medicines but nothing was good for me. Instead, I've tried the GAINSWave device. It's helping to maintain the health of your prostate and also it's useful for strengthening the erection. I use it since 2020 and I am very happy with the results. The ultra waves are making the blood vessels open. In this way, it's making your metabolism work better. I think that you could try this one instead of taking pills.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT