• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Canadian Eastern Regional Competition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jason Billows

Sep 17, 2002
Details for the Canadian Eastern Regional Competition in Ottawa are being finalized.

The competition will run from Friday, June 18 to Sunday, June 20. Static competition on Friday, Constant Ballast on Saturday and Dynamic on Sunday. Dynamic will be held in a 25m pool and Constant Ballast at Morrison's Quarry with a current depth limit of 37m. If competitors would like to announce greater depths an alternate dive site will be considered.

There are also plans for a BBQ, prizes and lots of recreational diving before and after the event.

Anyone interested in getting more information can visit the Competitions page on the Canadian Association of Freediving and Apnea website - www.freedivecanada.com

Looking forward to the competition... I wonder if there will be anybody from south of the border coming up? I hear the post comp. barbeque alone is worth the drive!:p
See you in Ottawa!

Matt Charlton

Mmmmmmm Morrison's.......

you boys have a good time - I miss rolling in the chalk at the bottom, well... not really :D

Static Results

I just got the call from Kirk in Ottawa. The results from today's Static event at the Eastern Regional Competition are now posted on the website. There were some excellent performances today with two good performances over 6:00 and two others over 5:00.

Expect to see pictures later this evening.

Tom Lightfoot
CAFA Vice President and Webmaster
http://www.freedivecanada.com/comp/results/june2004erc/

Final results posted

Final results are now posted on the freedivecanada website. It sounds like today was an amazing day of competition with some surprises and heartbreaks.

http://www.freedivecanada.com/comp/results/june2004erc/

The first heartbreak is that Toronto rookie, Andrew Walus very nearly had a new Canadian record in Dynamic. He completed 150m cleanly but failed to remove his goggles within the 20 second time frame. His result is listed as an LMC but it was more of a technical recovery disqualification. (Maybe I need to create a new code) I think we can expect to see some great things from Andrew in the future.

Most of us have some disqualification in our first competition.

The second heartbreak was for Matt Charlton. Roberto Cerdena's 67m dynamic was surprisingly short, considering his 6:10 static. This gave Matt an 'easy' target for taking first place in the competiton. Unfortunately, Matt's calculations didn't take into consideration the penalty points for coming short of his 75m announced performance. Matt surfaced at 71.2m and ended up with 33.5 points, the exact same score as Roberto had for his dynamic. Roberto retained his first place position and won the blue ribbon.

Matt will have a chance to redeem himself next weekend at Nationals!

So overall it was a very exciting competition with some excellent performances and a lot of new faces. It's great to see the Ontario freediving scene growing like this. It's obvious that the local competitors have outgrown Morrison's Quarry and will have to find deeper water for the next Ottawa competition.

I hope to be able to post pictures later tonight.

Tom Lightfoot
CAFA Vice President and Webmaster

Sounds like a good time and some lessons learned about competing. Good job Andrew on the 150!
Disqualifications and forgetting to calculate points correctly ARE a heartbreaker, but that's part of competing. We all know the 150 was good dude :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Hi All,

The ERC was a great competition with some
exciting results.

On behalf of the organizers (Matt, Roberto, David and myself) thank you to
everyone who made the event possible. Our volunteers and safety divers did a
great job and our competitors were incredibly helpful in making the competition
work above and beyond showing up to compete. Thanks to Tom for all of his work
in getting our competitiors registered and getting results up so quickly.

A big thank you to our sponsors who supplied door prizes and our BBQ party, and
a big thanks to Sharky's Scuba Supply. As many of you know, Sharky's helped
the Ottawa Freedivers host this competition for the first time and it's a
partnership we're looking forward to building upon in the future.

And finally, a huge thanks to Kirk and Perry (a.k.a "The Flamingo Kid) for
taking the time to come out and judge the competition. We know you're both
very busy, especially with the National's and World's around the corner, and
appreciate the time you took to come out.

Matt, show those Western divers that the East is coming on strong. We'll be
busy here in Ottwa with shovels digging away to make the quarry a little
deeper.

Thanks again everyone and good luck to those of you competing in the nationals.

Jason

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT