• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cannot equilize both ears?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

beko001

Sep 11, 2002
Hi,

I've just started to take scuba diving. The instructor showed us how to equilize ears, I can open my right ear but can't open the left one. I never tried it in water but I'm afraid I won't be able to equilize in water too. Do you think I should see a doctor, can he/she do anything? Thanks.

Ear clearing Techniques

Hi
There are varios techniques for clearing you ears instructers tend to show you blow down you nose tecnique but i always had problems with this, so i serched on the net and found that this tecnique works

I tkes a bit of parctice but in general you stiffen the the musclesin your neck as if you were picking somethign heavy up and just hold you nose shut and force your adams apple down a bit lik swallowing, this cause the tubes to strech open and you ears will clear

Regards
Kevin
ps i would be wise of couser to have a check with your doctor

Equalizing ears

I would most definitly see a doc before getting into the water!!!!! I had the VERY unpleasant experience of having only one ear clear and then having the other perforate about 3 meters farther down. I would have rather had a red hot poker shoved in my ear- Hurt like hell!!!

If this is something you have lived with all your life, there are other techniques to use like the other poster described but if it a recent thing, could be symptomatic of congestion or a head cold. Also, did you have your tonsils out when you were younger? A lot of times, doctors would pull the adnoid (?) glands too and that may have caused the Eustacean tube to close woth either scar tissue or something.

Regardless, get it looked at before you dive.....

I am no doctor but, just from experience and the fact I have wicked tinnitus (NOT from diving), I would say better safe than sorry!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT