• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Capetonian Newbie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lenny

Arrrg...Woof!
Apr 26, 2007
Hey I'm new to this forum, in fact I'm kinda new to spearfishing.
I've been diving for crayfish for a few years, round Kommetjie, Soetwater and Scarborough. Trouble is i get really bored in the off seasons. I know a guy who has a place in Smitswinkel, he started talking to me about back in the day when he was a spearo. From then onwards I kinda fell in love with the idea of shooting fish. since then I have been reading every book I can find about the subject, starting to practice staying underwater for longer etc.

When Crayfishing I have a comfort zone of about 3-6m. I've probally dived up to about 10m, once upon a time. I know that probally sounds like swiming in puddles to you guys. But I'm quite keen to learn.

So I haven't actually gone spearfishing yet, firstly cos I don't have a gun. That's sorta what I want to ask about. Is it real important to buy a brand new, super expensive gun to start off with, or can I work with a second hand one for starters? What are good makes?

Another thing is that my diving buddie , likes crayfish but couldn't be bothered about chasing fish. So I need to meet some people I can go with ( If possible on a not too hardcore dive). I live in Fish Hoek, but I'm moving out to Monte Vista area in June. Do any of you guys belong to clubs or know people you could hook me up with?

any help or advise would be really appreciated!

Thanx

Just thought of something. Are there any false bay divers who have a shark shield? I'm really thinking of getting one of those. I must sound like a bit of a wimp but I get real un-easy when I'm 400 m from shore with no kelp to hide in. Is that a myth or are Great Whites generally not interested in persuing prey through kelp forrests?

Wow, That sounds awsome! thanks for the invite,
I would love to come, the only thing is I got something on this friday that I can't really miss.:( But I'd love to know if you ever have something like this again.
Do you perhaps know how I could get hold of the Bellville underwater club?

thanks so much!

Ahoy Lenny
Here's a link:
Bellville Underwater Clubhttp://41.208.3.178/
In PE at the moment,but we must hook up when I come down to CT again. Was in CT this last weekend + driving round fish hoek/simon's town on Sunday..water looked so damn good, but left my diving kit at home, Why??
I'm going to go silently weep now again.

pity you're busy on friday... BUT:
Sunday, the 6th, we are having the pool sessions of the Freediving Open,
at the Long Street pool.
From about 9 until 15.00.
It's a drop in comp, so bring your wetsuit mask and fins and give it a bash!
Hanli

Well maybe I'll just watch cos I not much of a freediver yet.

Hey Chris: That sound like a plan!

I spent most of that weekend in the water. It was beautiful!
Next time give me a shout you can use some of my extra gear.

Ahoy Lenny
Here's a link:
Bellville Underwater Club
In PE at the moment,but we must hook up when I come down to CT again. Was in CT this last weekend + driving round fish hoek/simon's town on Sunday..water looked so damn good, but left my diving kit at home, Why??
I'm going to go silently weep now again.

So thats the way you play it huh :( come to town and you dont give us a shout for a beer or 24 what the hell:confused:

by the way lenny your fins are still in my boot :p are you coming to the club on wednesday to collect them?

Hey Covert
I was at long street with Jeff, Hanli and the other freedivers on the saturday night, and I did have 24 beers after having been on a wine tasting earlier that day...
where were you? is the question

sadly i was in jhb :( work tends to intefere to much in my life. Im still upset with you though damnit

Sure, I'll be there.

I did'nt even realize, nuts! I wanted to go for a snorkel tomorrow before coming through in the evening.:head Perhaps I'll swim barefoot that sould be some good exercise. Anyways, I look forward to the meeting.

Heya Sean

How was the dive on Sunday? Sorry could'nt make it, sundays are the most hectic day of the week for me. But things will cool down as I have now moved to the northen suburbs, only one street away from the church. So I might still be able to sneek a dive in inbetween services.

Saturday was the lousiest day of diving I've ever had!!!! I dived Fish Hoek, 2-3m viz!!:vangry, Camps bay was a bit too far so I drove to soetwater, where the water was a flat as a mirror. I got all kitted up again and swam out 30m, I could not see the end of my speargun!!!!:vangry arrg. Tried the water again in Fish Hoek in the evening, it had cleared a bit so I could see about another meter or so. I loaded my gun in about 1.5m deep water and as I turn around I saw a 30-35cm white stumpnose (only real fish I have seen all day). I didn't want to shoot it from the surface so I tried to decend in 1.5 water (almost impossible task) when I got on the same level as it, it was almost out of range. I shot and it disapeared behind a rock. Too add insult to injury, As I started pulling in my spear, it came back around the rock and gave me a perfect broadsided at nearly point blank range (not that my gun was loaded:head). If fish could speak, would be ripping me off! So thats the story of my weekend, I hope yours was better.

Sorry to hear but get use to it, I think they send the small ones out on a dare to tease you and just after you take your shot they big ones come out to tease you :) its a sorry fact of life. Next time your in 1.5 just take the shot from the surface you make too much noise trying to decend at that level, and generally the fish scram. Although taking a shot from the top calls for some serious aiming. Went out for a dive at Bakoven and shot some nice hottie felt very refreshed after two hours in the water came home and made a stack of fish cakes. Pity bout not hooking up though would have been lekka.

btw the fish do rip us off is their given right :p

Ja them fish are sneaky!

Was diving a shorey with a mate here in PE on Saturday. After not seeing much for a while I caught sight of about three nice leeries cruising right under me as I was breathing up in about 4m of water. Damn so there I was bobbing on the surface like a chop trying to aim at these fish. Anyway looked

Last edited:
Hey Guys
Was nearly crying on Sunday. Went to Oceana to swim out, but water looked crap, so gave it a miss. Next thing a few guys with a HUGE duck say they're off to dive near Coral Gardens for a scuba dive, and they invited me to jump on with them. Been Scuba divers, I did the gentlemanly thing and left my gun in my car. Well, viz near Coral gardens ( off Oudekraal area, about 400 meters out, 17-20 meters) was amazing. I Freedived alone off the boat in about 18 meters of water, and was amongst huge hotties at the bottom, and 2 very playful seals at one stage!! As you can imagine, the hotties were all over me because I had no gun, I swear they know! :D

To top it off, we stopped in the bay at Clifton on the way home, and had a beer. These guys were legends, thanks to Andrew and Catherine for a very surprising but awesome outing!!!

All I wanted was to shoot some hottie....:waterwork
It's unfair!

What is it with Scuba guys! Last week I couldn't find anybody to dive with me so I eventally met some scuba guys on the beach who invited me to dive with them. Anyways I said 'let me just go get my gear'. You should have seen the terror in their eyes as I returned with my gun tucked underneath my arm.:naughty :rcard It's like they honestly believed that I was gonna shoot one of them.:D They went one way and kindly advised me to go the other. Suppose its two sports that just aint compatible hey.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT