• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

carbon fiber, ceramic, or aluminum

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kumuhunta

Apr 15, 2002
hey everyone
I was wondering which one is the better buy. I was looking for a new gun and saw that omer had 3 different materials that they made thier barrel out of. One was carbon fibre the other was ceramic and lastly there was aluminum. the mb sereies comes in both ceramic and carbon.
I was wondering which one is more accurate and if there are any flaws to each.
thanks again for all your help

1-ceramic( kevlar) don't break easily
2- carbon is stiffer than ceramic, so more accurate gun, but break quite easily
3- aluminium, cheap and last for years

the best is wood, my next gun:p

I thought that ceramic was different from kevlar?
ie. excaliber kevlar, mb series is only ceramic.
what I really want to know is if one is more durable than the other. I never really heard anything about ceramic. but ive heard that the carbon fibre is very stiff but I heard that it can crack or fray.
ive already seen the tests done by hawaii skin diver magazine and seen that both are pretty similar in terms of accuracy. but want to learn more about the down falls of each.

I would appreciate any comments on the subject
thank you

Guys,

Kevlar is not ceramic. Totaly different.

Kevlar is the yellow line on Riffe reel or any bullet proof jacket.
For stifness Kevlar is no match 2 carbon. Kevlar is more for high abrassion protection, carbon is more for strengthening.

Go for the carbon. I think ceramic is the most brittle among all.
Forget aluminum cause it will one day corrode away no matter how you maintained it. The first to go will be the screw holes where stainless steel screw meet the aluminum. The hole will be bigger and barrel play will occur. I don't know if Omer aluminum barrel is the same thickness as JBL, it is then too bad, my JBL screw holes grew in 3 years, the way I used it. If the barrel is as thick as the extruded type used on Riffe Metal Tech, I think it will last many times over.

Carbon can crack, everything has a limit. The way carbon barrel are made: it is actually 50% resin and 50% carbon. Carbon is the muscle material and resin is the glue. If say Omer uses epoxy as the resin, keep it away from sunlight cause UV ray will kill most clear coat epoxy and Kevlar material too.

Good luck.
IYA

I've used and abused a JBL .38 Special for 7 years in the persian gulf (MUCH more salty then any place else I've been) and It's still fine. I beat the snot outa that gun, it's my grouper gun, so it's always getting scratched and nicked on the rocks - havent had any problems with holes getting bigger. I also let it soak in the bathtub for a good hour after I'm done hunting. leaches the salt out.

Aluminum is strong, cheap, and lasts.

Still saving for a Carbon.

Willer

Why I avoid aluminum nowadays

Amph,

You are considered a loving guy if u soak ur JBL for an hour in a tub. Me, if live on board can not afford to waste water so for a wekend trip my JBL Magnum doesn't get washed for at least 72 hours. I do not know how often you take your gun out but I usually go out three weekends a month excluding other public holidays in between. My three years is very abusive. Take a look at the photos I attached ( if I can attach it ).

The round stainless washer in front of the pistol grip is what I manage to use to avoid barrel wobble on the oversized screw hole. Mine is not the only one with this problem, many other guns have the same fate cause we go in a group, so the guns more or less suffer the same. Inside this pistol grip is a new trigger sear caused I already damaged mine by using stronger rubbers.

The muzzle photo, take a look at it. The end of the pipes where the muzzle is inserted are cracked/corrosion marks. I have 3 cracks on the pipe end. Ur mini 38 doesn't get rubber pressure like mine so it should last longer. Notice the broken wings where the bands are supposed to be compressed...........The top part is already darken cause the wing has broken a long time ago. The lower broken mark I just broke it so that I can put the muzzle on my scanner, I don't have digital camera. This is my second muzzle assy. This thing break all the time when I insert new rubbers and if not careful when spreading the muzzle wings.

I guess I am mean when it comes to speargun usage but any brand that can last with me is sure worth buying.

IYA

JBL Muzzle Photo

Is it me or the system doesn't allow more than 1 photo per post ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT