• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

carbon fiber monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BatRay

Nov 1, 2002
I'm thinking about someday buying a monofin, and I'm not sure exactly what to look for. One that's available at the moment is a c4 monofin. I don't know the proper terms for the shapes, but the fin is squarish in shape. I don't know how practical this fin would be for freediving, any suggestions? Is carbon fiber made in different stiffnesses? Thanks much.

Hello!

Where did you find this fin?

I have been looking for it on www.c4carbon.com but there are no mono available.:confused:

It should be interesting to take a look at it!

The mono in question is a Finis, and it's gathering dust at a scuba shop. I think the model is discontinued, but you can check the Finis website or get one of their catalogs. If not c4, I know they have fiberglass ones.

About monos in general

Hey Bat,
Buying a mono in carbon is not really nessecary as your first buy of a mono. Some people are unable to use the mono for anything good and in any case one needs to get used to the whole new way of propulsion through the entire body.
I'd suggest that you don't start out with an expensive carbon fibre mono, get an Eastern European/Russian glass fibre fin to start with. A place like www.sebakfins.com (Estonia) is a good place to start.
The thing is that glass fibre is only a slightly lesser choice of fin material than carbon fibre, but again it's a heck of a lot cheaper and doesn't break as easy. Buy a cheap, good old fashioned, fin swimmers glass mono for starters (for instance in middle hard stiffness) and work with the proper technique before you buy anything as expensive as carbon. The only reason for getting a carbon fibre fin is usually for using it for competition, especially deep competition.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Thanks for the replies.

The only reason I'm considering this carbon mono is that it would cost about the same as a fiberglass one. Otherwise it would be completely impractical. Given an equal price, is there any other advantage to the glass fin?

glassfibre vs carbon

I think what (today) makes the most difference between monoblades is not weather it's of glass- or carbonfibre. I think what makes a good fin is the right stiffness and bending line. First when the developers have found (I think some already have but they don't use carbonfibre) the best stiffness/bending line I think maybe the carbon can be an advantage, but I'm not shure.:confused:

BUT: If I only look on it strictly technical, the carbonfibre is faster in it's recoil.

Today I would go for a fibreglassfin if I didn't have the possibility to try and compare fins.
I think the russians are still in the lead when it comes to make good monoblades, but offcourse I can be wrong.

A friend of mine have a Mat-mas carbon fin and his very satisfyed with this fin. Another of my buddys have a Breier carbon fin and he has done a 70m constant weight dive with it (he really likes it.:)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT