• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

carbon fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ian coetzee

Jan 5, 2003
I would like to know what Carbon Fins to buy for spearfishing as friends in South Africa have said that the picasso ones break. Which are better between the omer millenium carbon and the sporasub ones, are the omer ones worth they price tag.

I Dive in 20-30m and wanted to know whether carbon were better than the normal picasso black team fins, and whether they truly give you a few extra metres

They all will break on you...just the nature of the game:cool:
Cant imagine they would benifit you too much in that depth while hunting but they might bring you up a little quicker? In the end, that will be a personal call on the pros and cons of carbon.

IMHO spearing with carbons will eventually have you struggling back to the surface on one and a bit ...;)

hi

What is so good about them if they are going to break. Maybe for pure freediving but spearing. Omer millenium comps I beat them to death on the sharp coral. Actually all of my gear that was orginally black is now white from all the scratches and poundings it gets on coral.

cheers

howzit ian. personally i wouldnt recomend getting carbon fins. i have a pair of picasso carbons and although i have used them arround rocks quite a bit, you always have to be mindfull of what you are banging them against or pushing of, which can distract from the fish at hand. i recon the picassos are proberbly less likely to crack than the omers. but unless you want fins for deep bluewater spearing alone i would stick with plastics. and even then i'm not shure if they will give you much more depth. nice for surface swimming compared to cressi hf's though. since getting a monfin my picasso carbons are collecting dust. a pitty you cant spear with mnofins. hope this helps. cheers
bevan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT