• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

carbon short fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Peter123

Feb 22, 2014
Hi,

for my local swimming pool (20m short) and shallow dives I prefer fins with a short blade.
I like to upgrade my very cheap pair of plastic fins and would love to go with carbon fins.

The only manufacture I found is Leaderfins.

http://www.leaderfins.com/us/fins-carbon-351.html

But I read a lot of bad things about quality and delivery time...

Any recommondations?

Those fins are only 66 cm long. Is carbon really a big benefit at that length ?

I bought fiberglass leaderfins. They are my 1st pair of freedive fins, so I can only compare them to scuba fins. The Leaderfins work great and delivery was not a problem. Their medium is a little soft. Most people compare Leaderfins medium to other mfr. soft.

Those fins are only 66 cm long. Is carbon really a big benefit at that length ?

Good question! On my last freediving trip I used my long carbon fins the first time and it fell just awesome. This is why I am looking out for carbon again. May be the benefit is very small, I just want to have this "snAp" feeling while kicking ;-)

Another brand that do carbon fibre would be Breier fins. Very popular with underwater hockey players.

Thanks a lot. The Breier fins look like realy high quality fins. They are pretty expensive to (300 Euro).

I have been surfing a lot. Alternatively to underwaterhockey/ rugby fins, I found rescue/ livesafer fins. I think I am going crazy now, but there are models that are 28cm width. Very width for short fins. Would be like a split monofin ;)

You indeed have quite a bit of choice. The thing is to decide what you want to do with and want out of the fin. If it's flat-out sprints, manoeuvrability, energy conservation etc. Then narrow down the brands that cater the best for the aspect you what to concentrate on.

Another thing to look at is swimming technique. I've got a pretty decent set of underwater hockey carbon fins but there are guys using plastic or rubber fins that are much faster than I am purely due to them having better swimming / finning technique. Unless you feel that you have mastered techniques such as streamlining, proper kick cycle etc, you will find more gains in concentrating on technique than spending a lot of money on fancy fins.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT