• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Carbon tank sources

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FrostyToes

Sep 28, 2021
Hallo and happy new year!

Just received a 1.3 Cyrano and am already looking at swapping out the tank...
The thing arrived with a neat little dent in the side, and I can already see my mates formulating all kinds of explosive jokes regarding my choice in weapon tech when we eventually go out together.
Seems to me the proper discourse is a total swap and pimp of the darn thing, what better than a shnazzy CF tank? Sure, maybe a warranty replacement tank from Mares is in order, but might as well aim for the moon in the interim.

Any clues to be had on sourcing one? I have the tools to trim and hone most anything of a close diameter.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Metal is the best material for a tank, carbon fibre tanks are a reinforced resin shell. Metal will not crack unless it is work hardened, so do not attempt to knock the dent out of the tank. If the gun was new then it should be replaced under warranty. Tanks can get dented by something heavy falling on the gun, so need to not be left in a situation where this can happen. The good price on the gun may reflect that the tank had the dent in it, but if so this should have been indicated at the time of sale. Tiny dents can be ignored, a few of my guns have such dents because I bought them used. Don't leave your gun laying on the bottom of the boat where it can get trodden on.

Reactions: FrostyToes
Metal is the best material for a tank, carbon fibre tanks are a reinforced resin shell. Metal will not crack unless it is work hardened, so do not attempt to knock the dent out of the tank. If the gun was new then it should be replaced under warranty. Tanks can get dented by something heavy falling on the gun, so need to not be left in a situation where this can happen. The good price on the gun may reflect that the tank had the dent in it, but if so this should have been indicated at the time of sale. Tiny dents can be ignored, a few of my guns have such dents because I bought them used. Don't leave your gun laying on the bottom of the boat where it can get trodden on.
The tank has a dent which couldn't have been caused by transport or basic storage, so I'm wondering if it may even be a quality control issue. I know it's mostly aesthetics, nevertheless the weight saving aspect is something I'd like to test. Was even considering laminating a thinner aluminium tube with CF (I have composite experience) to make the ultimate pressure vessel, but obviously this is overkill by most any practical useage measure. Pretty careful with my kit otherwise, have gun mountings in my boat and dinghy so a dent really peeves me off on the daily. With hope Mares will just send me a new tank!

Last edited:
Send them a photo of the dent as to where it is and how big it is as that may give them a clue to as to how it occurred. Scubastore sent me a gun with a busted power regulator knob, they probably dropped it while boxing it as the fragments were in the gun's carry bag.

A weight reduction figure of 8% was quoted for a Predathor Dark Side compared to a Predathor Vuoto, but I have never seen comparisons of the actual weights for each gun. The longer the gun then the more the tank weighs as a percentage of the gun mass, so I would think the difference would be more noticeable on long guns than it would be with shorter versions.

Check the price here for a Dark Side 99.9; 1,170 bucks and that is on special! They are somewhat less expensive elsewhere.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT