• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Cardigan Bay - water temps - wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DancCooke

Feb 16, 2021
My general playground as I get started will be the West Coast of Wales Cardigan bay is pretty much the side of Wales but here is the average water temps
1614005443637.png

No I was swimming after night shifts in just my under crackers into September but it was ball wrenchingly cold. So the question. 5mm or 7mm wetsuit I plan on spear fishing as well as foraging for scallop, razor clam etc as much and year round as possible.
I’m reasonably portly (tubby) and don’t feel the cold to much but I also know being immersed for longer periods that sea temp is going to test a wetsuit.

Cheers in advance

Dan
1614005443637.png

How long do you intend on being in the water? I use a 6.5 two piece smoothskin unlined tailored suit and 5mil socks/gloves in 37 F fresh water and don't get a shiver for at least an hour. But then again I am getting nearly zero water in my suit, gloves and socks.

Reactions: DancCooke
My beach is on the shore of the Puget Sound of Washington State, so the temp is a few degrees colder (degrees F) than your chart. I started out with a 3mm shorty with a 3 mm full suit over it. Very flexible, but my legs got cold after 1/2 hour. (Shorty has to be tight and the full suit a bit
"baggy"). I recently went to a 5mm Henderson "Green Prene" - It's pretty warm - but it's a bit thick and it wasn't a budget buy. If you could rent a 5mm wetsuit you could test it and see if you are warm and can offset the buoyancy and can spearfish with it.

Reactions: DancCooke
Thank you. I’m thinking if I go for a 5mm I’ll be able to get out most of the year and if I’m really really loving it then I can save for a 7mm top if I need it. I will need weights. I’m not exactly slim (understatement award) but 30 years of national and international competitive martial arts and div 2 Welsh rugby have me reasonably fit.
It’s going to be a fun learning curve.

How long do you intend on being in the water? I use a 6.5 two piece smoothskin unlined tailored suit and 5mil socks/gloves in 37 F fresh water and don't get a shiver for at least an hour. But then again I am getting nearly zero water in my suit, gloves and socks.
Until I really start I can’t answer that. The coast line here is very impressive. There’s lots of marks I’ve sounded out with the kayak fish finder. Some nicely swimable hugging the coast. Others once I’m more comfortable using the kayak to get to and dropping anchor on the kayak using it as a large float

It’s a shame my dry suit isn’t suitable as a dive suit. But it’s definitely a surface dry suit. I have a cheapo shorty wetsuit I use in the summer on the kayak but usually it’s the dry suit. Sat with the wind on your back for 8 hrs anchored fishing can get cold even in what seem like toasty days.
thanks for the replies. Just need lockdown to get out of the way.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT