• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Carlos Coste and Stig Severinsen New World Record!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miguel

Underwater Sports Fanatic
Jun 6, 2003
After of his BO on the attempt of the last day Wednesday 24 of September, the Venezuelan freediver Carlos Coste managed to implant the new world-wide record in the apnea modality constant weight without fins, when making an immersion of -61 meters of depth, in a time of 2 minutes and 49 econds.

The event was made in the "Picua Chica" Store of the National Park Mochima and was guaranteed by international judges Aida, Marcello De Matteis of Switzerland and Terry Gladstone of Canada.

This is the third world-wide record obtained by Carlos in his race, and now he will be prepared to retake the depths again when the next Saturday 4 of October mts in the modality tries to descend the -101 from free immersion.

On the other hand the Danish freediver Stig Severinsen also obtained to the new mark of -61 mts in constant weight without fins in a time of 2 minutes and 14 seconds. It is possible to emphasize that Stig had glided to make the attempt of record of static apnea, but it did not feel prepared to do it and will be trying it in the course of the last week of the Challenge in the Abyss.

By: Miguel A. Cedeño O.
miguel@sportalsub.net
Photo: El Norte

Keep it connected with http://www.sportalsub.net where we will be carrying out the daily covering of this event.

Attachments

• portada1255a.jpg
    portada1255a.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 660
Well done Carlos & Stig ! :D
Congratualtions to both for being the first AIDA divers to do a REAL world record in the no-fins category. 61m put's them at 1m more then Topi's FREE record.

It's interesting to compare the speed of the dives. Carlos did his in 2:49, is it just me or is this really slow, even for no-fins ?
Stig did it in a more 'normal' time of 2:14. Makes me think that Topi must really hammer through the water with a 60m dive in only 2 min flat. I suspect Carlos & Stig are using classical style underwater breastroke compared to Topi's breastroke/dolphin kick style. Carlos must really be doing a lot of gliding between strokes. I guess you use whatever get's the job done. ;)

Still well done to the both of them, with such an impressive depth and an absolute world record!

Cheers,
Wal

Great achievement!
Congrats to both.

So does Carlos hold the new WR now? Or Stig? Or both?

Both

Congrats to both athletes! And respect for keeping Topi's depth as the depth to beat...

Both athletes now hold the worldrecord (if the dopingtest comes out okay).

hi

Congrats to both athletes it seems that thes records never stop :)

cheers

about the unassisted

Originally posted by Walrus
Well done Carlos & Stig ! :D
Congratualtions to both for being the first AIDA divers to do a REAL world record in the no-fins category. 61m put's them at 1m more then Topi's FREE record.

It's interesting to compare the speed of the dives. Carlos did his in 2:49, is it just me or is this really slow, even for no-fins ?
Stig did it in a more 'normal' time of 2:14. Makes me think that Topi must really hammer through the water with a 60m dive in only 2 min flat. I suspect Carlos & Stig are using classical style underwater breastroke compared to Topi's breastroke/dolphin kick style. Carlos must really be doing a lot of gliding between strokes. I guess you use whatever get's the job done. ;)

Still well done to the both of them, with such an impressive depth and an absolute world record!

Cheers,
Wal
I think both are classical style -the dolphin kick and the breastroke- the question I have is this : How many stroke did Carlos take to reach the 61 meters? sometime we can take more than usual. and It makes It harden than it is....I recomend all people that are trying the unassisted now if they don't know much about (natacion classical|) to spend a lot of tiime in pool with swimmer and see step by step their tecniques (.the streamline) .ect....The unassisted has a very close relation with classical swimming- i can say they are brothers.. I remember when I studied piano my teacher say ( don't use both hands untill your are sure you are doing good with one...and them play with both.hands.the same way we do for the unassisted ..there is a lot of component to know about it ....tha'ts why is I like the unassisted..i remember my friend telling me Daniel try the unassisted you will see how funny it is -and he was rigth

Last edited:
Congratulations for both athletes. This is a real world record.
Is there any video footage?. It will be interesting to compare the techniques.

Last edited:
Congratulation

Congratulations Carlos and Stig......... Frank we are in the same state of mind....I would like to see the video too:)

saludos

Daniel.

Last edited:
El ser humano y su (con)ciencia viajan cada vez más profundo; ahora con la pureza del unassisted.

¡¡¡ Felicitaciones a quienes hacen posible esta mágica travesía!!!

Ahora, sumándome a Daniel y Frank:

¡¡¡¡El pueblo quiere videos!!!!!!!

hi

Hola Majo me has hecho reir mi amigo con "El pueblo quiere video " --- me alegra mucho verte por aqui -I liked what you said ( la pureza del unassisted) como diria yo del unassisted es( la expresion maxima de la natacion ) ( es una combinacion de una buena capacidad pulmonar con una buena destreza en el nado)

creo que lo de los videos tomaran un tiempito "But we still wait fo the video"" Hey majo tell me something? do you practice freediving? there is freediving team in chile ?

bueno saludos

Daniel.:)

_____________________________-

The unassited doesn't only consist of reaching the tag but It really signifies the sense of style

Last edited:
Daniel,
when I meant classical breastroke style, I meant close to what breastroke swimmers use underwater. Swimmers use dolphin kick for starts and after turns, in all events except one - breastroke. It's illegal to use dolphin kick.

They are allowed to do one arm stroke, then one frog kick underwater after a turn. So what freedivers use is what it would look like to keep using the same arm&leg stroke.

You will not see any swimmers using the style that Topi does. He has combined the dolphin kick, similar to butterfly perhaps, with the underwater breastroke style. I agree with you that anyone that wants to learn the correct style it is best to get some coaching from swimmers.

Cheers,
Wal

Reactions: Shadowkiller
unassisted

You are right Wal....is illegal...At this moment there is not a especific method for the unassisted I think so.. We adopted the idea of the breastroke and part of the butterfly.ect.

The glide has been a characteristic and attractive feature of the unassisted-different from classical swimmers that in 200 meter race It seems logical that the elimination of the glide could increase swmming speed.

What Topi does combining the dolphin kick made enormous part in propulsion,but the most powerful kick can be negated is the body position is not right- The principle of keeping the best body position commensurate with effective propulsion is essential for the unassisted

saludos

Daniel.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT