• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Casio watch with depth gauge

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

donmoore

Aug 19, 2002
What do you think about these new Casio dive watches that are: inexpensive, have depth measurement ever 1 second, and log of time and maximum depth? They are the MRS301D series. You can get it with stainless band for just hundred a $100. They don’t appear to have depth alarm. I read about the 1 second depth measurement on another web page.

I was thinking of a cheap alternative to a Suunto.
Don

Attachments

• casio_resin2.jpeg
    casio_resin2.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,087
Reactions: w3ac
I thought it the text was part of the picture, but it wasn't. Here it is:

While skindiving it is of great advantage to be able to monitor your depth and bottom time. It helps to improve your freediving by enabling you to constantly keep an eye on personal performance and diving limits thus maximising your freediving safety. Until now this sort of equipment has been expensive and only in the realm of top sports people.

Casio has changed all of this with their marine gear MRS301 series of watches. Not only are they a stylish time piece but they out perform most other depth gauge watches on the market.

The Marine Gear MRS301-2E is the perfect watch for freediving and spearfishing with features that include:

Tough black resin band;
100 Meter water resistant;
Log Memory - stores and displays up to 10 sets of diving data;
Logs Dive Time - Range 1 sec to 6 hours;
Logs Dive Depth - Range 0 to 50m (feet or meters);
Analogue and digital time display;
EL illuminator backlight;
Stopwatch;
Alarm;
12 or 24 hour time;
Full auto calendar;
Low power indicator

Casio made a cheaper version of this watch about 6-7 years ago. All it did was show your current depth. I used it for 3 straight summers before the band broke without me realizing it. I have been on the hunt for one since then as they quit making it. I only dove to 50-65 ft with the old one, but never had a problem with it and it seemed very accurate. With all the bells and wistles they have now added to it, I am definitly going to purchase one as I think it is a real bargain. Thanks for informing us it is out there again in its new and improved form!

Mike

http://www.allwatchstore.com/list.asp?CtgID=9 is where you can buy one for about $100 with shipping in the U.S.. The MRS301D-7EV is the one I would buy because it has the automatic timer, The MRT200KD-7V, that this company also sells does not.

I found a few places on the Internet selling the plastic band version which is the MRS301-2E, but they wanted far more than the All Watch Store’s MRS301D-7EV which has the stainless band and is a more expensive model.

If you buy one, please post how you like it. I’m probably going to order one in a few days so it will be on my March credit card statement instead of February's.
Don

hi

I have that exact watch in the picture and I can say the depth is accurate to within 1-2ft of our depth sounder on the boat ie if the sounder reads 30ft the watch will read 31-32ft but still pretty good. It cost me $270

cheers

love it!

Love the watch man. I got the metal band version and not only does it look stylish on land, but it works like a charm underwater. Thanks for the link and props to you for posting it.

Brad :martial

Brad,
Your welcome. I just received mine too. Did you notice in the manual it says it measures depth every 3-seconds. I guess the ad I read about every 1-second was wrong. It is still better than Mares every 5-seconds.

Have you played with the elapse time and maximum depth yet? I haven’t had mine in the water yet.
Don

I really didn't notice how often it read depth cause I was hunting and would occasionally look down at my watch. I noticed some lag as my watch read 42 feet on one dive and I knew I was a little deeper. I didn't stare at it to see if it changed because some good game was around and I was more interested in scanning and hiding than looking at the watch. It did log my deepest dive and also recorded my bottom time. Overall though, I really stoked to have it. Absolutely no complaints about the 3 second lag. Thanks again.

i went to casio's website to see if i could get the mrs301d-7ev in a plastic band instead of the metal one. my thinking is i want to adjust it so it can be worn over my wetsuit or just on my wrist. the metal band is probably not a band that can be easily adjusted back and forth. anyway when i go to casio's website they don't even list the watch, which make me think it may be discontinued and they are coming out with a better mouse trap?

Divedog,
Check out the website Don Moore posted on. You will be able to find the watch there. I don't think they sell a rubber band version but I'm pretty sure any good watch shop could custom fit a band for you.

W3AC, thats what i did. i called casio and they said that isn't a watch they sell, though they do make it. turns out they make specialty items (watches & piano's) for specific distributors...only that distributor will have that product. thanks.

I have one of these inexpensive CASIO watches. Model AW-340.
It has all features mentioned above. It's compleatly made of plastic and looks rather cheep. But the depth sensor iz very accurate.
Two days ago I dove with it to 48.8m in 1:27. I had suunto stinger on the same hand and it showed 49.3m in 1:26. So this difference for me is irrelevant and don't forget that suunto reads depth in shorter intervals so I think that that is why the differece is 0.5m.
My casio cost me about 90$ and my friend paid the titanium stinger 850$. The only problem is depth limit of 50m.

Okay, try scrolling up about 8 posts and click on the link posted by Don Moore on February 26. I don't know what Casio is telling you but obviously there is some kind of mix up in communication here. I know for a fact that Casio does make this watch as it is sitting on my wrist right now.

Casio

I was wondering if any of you guys has seen the casio triple sensor. Its shows temp. direction and altitude. I was wondering if the altimiter would read depth. They say the watch is for sailors and its waterproof to depth. I have been wanting a dive watch for some time and like the casio you guys mentioned but it would be very sweet to be able to know the water temp and heading while on a dive as well. Have you guys seen this wacth? what do you guys think of it?
thank in advance for the info

donmoore said:
What do you think about these new Casio dive watches that are: inexpensive, have depth measurement ever 1 second, and log of time and maximum depth? They are the MRS301D series. You can get it with stainless band for just hundred a $100. They don’t appear to have depth alarm. I read about the 1 second depth measurement on another web page.

I was thinking of a cheap alternative to a Suunto.
Don

I bought this watch before switching to a D3... and it was an excellent item !

In comparison with a D3 :

1. it is twice or three times as cheap...

2. it looks more elegant...

3. it is lighter...

Then, if you are an assiduous freediver training hard, you cannot live without a D3...

But if you are more of a recreational freediver, this CASIO watch will be sufficient... much cheaper.... and you can go to a party with this watch on your wrist (it is more elegant than the ugly D3...)

Hi,
I own this one and use it as a stopwatch for static training. For this purpose it is great. I used the depth gauge feature just once or twice in the pool because at least for deepdiving in lakes the letters are too small. You can use them if you have time to hang around figuring out how deep you are, but if you want to get that information at a quick glance this watch is not the right choice, as has already been said.

Veronika

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT