• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Catalina Island California

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Wassup Hawaiian...another transplant from the islands as well. There is some great diving and great dive clubs up in the NorCal region. I also know some good people up that way that are interested in finding freediving partners. So what you going school up there or work? Ok then laters brah.

Chris Lee

I need some advice. I want to go camping on the island with some friends and go spearfishing. Can we bike to any campgrounds and will the spearfishing be any good? Where should I go?

I freedive at Catalina all the time, although spearfishing isn't my main activity.

I gather from my hunter confreres that they often start seeing white sea bass and sometimes yellowtail there around May for maybe a couple of months. Later in the summer the action tends to move to other of the Channel Islands.

I've dabbled a little in spearfishing at Catalina in winter, concentrating on kelp bass, also known as calicos. Although these aren't the big impressive trophy fish of WSB or yellowtail, they are quite tasty and many people view them as even more of a challenge to shoot because they're very skittish.

There are a lot of hunters on Mark Barville's freediver list
who are at Catalina all the time and can give you more info.

I tend to concentrate on photography
when I freedive (in fact the top picture on my home page is a typical kelp forest at Catalina).

Good luck!

nice post, very informative :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT