• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Catching Spider Crabs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while, but hey thought I could shed some light on the clawing discussion :).

Remember only to take 1 claw... a crab with no claws will almost definitely starve to death, and also will not be able to mate. A crab with one claw can feed effectively, mate effectively, defend itself effectively and move without hindrance. In fact as a claw is the most likely thing to ever be injured/trapped/grabbed by a predator it is essential that it can be shed and that a crab can survive without it.

If you look at the claws of a spider crab you will see that they are identical, whereas a lobster claws are very different; as they have one designed for cutting and one for crushing. Therefore you can take whichever one without really affecting how they feed.

As far as removing claws goes, basically if you take hold of any crustation and 'twist' the claws off it is fairly likely that you will cause irreversible damage and stress leading to possible death. The trick to taking a claw is to trick the crab into shedding the claw rather than physically breaking it off (obviously this is sometimes easier said than done). This way the crab employs its natural defense mechanism and intends to surprise and confuse us, and it allows the crab to safely remove the claw and seal the joint off from water intrusion into the main body and insure that it can re-grow the claw in time.

If you consider a situation when a crab would naturally shed the claw - perhaps loosing in a fight, it would be because that particular claw has been seized and the crab fears that if it does not act quickly then it may be killed.

I once saw a lobster take firm hold of a crab claw and apply pressure (not sufficient to break the shell) and almost immediately the crab dropped the claw and backed off into cover. Following that, the next time I was out spearing I took a spider crab and squeezed behind the 'elbow' of the claw and watched exactly the same thing happen again.

If you 'twist' the claw off you will see meat attached to the base of the claw that you have just removed, whereas if you encourage the crab to drop the claw, you will see that the base of the claw is clean.

Obviously this is a little more fiddly and takes a little while to do, and for this reason is unfeasible on an industrial scale, and hence the 18% mortality rate quoted in the previously posted article. For this reason I do not agree with industrial 'clawing', but us spearos have the liberty of being able to take our time, and therefore no damage needs to be caused.

I won't sit here and say that taking a claw has NO effect on a crab, however, a crab is perfectly capable of living as normal without it, and certainly shouldn't die if it 'sheds' the claw rather than having it torn off.

Hope this message reads ok... just got back from the pub!

All the best,

Huw.

PS: I have been told that if you come across a lobster and have no bag or floatline to tie it into, you can just put it in your wetsuit!

looked up sheep crab. they look the exact same as spiders. they look meaty too. maybe nobody takes them because like here there is no market for them?? they are danm tasty though. I sat try one!!

hey there, just looked that up. sheep crab are spider crab!! catch one and enjoy!!
johnny

hey i hate to dig up an old thread but thought people should know that cooking dead crab is a no no unless you have spent a month in thailand and arent scared of sitting on a toilet.

there isnt much market for spiders in the uk due to the meat yield and the fact they are ugly looking things, spain and morrocco love them there is a small export trade for them.

Depends where you live in England, where I live in the channel Islands spiders are caught by the hundreds of thousands, of course most are exported but they have always been an important food crab for locals - we love them!

Do you mean even a fresh dead crab? How long does the crab have to dead before it becomes dangerous to cook & eat?

its a hard one to call really, we used to say 2-3hours is ok but in all honesty there is no reason for you to cook a dead crab, if you caught it wrap it in a plastic back with some wet paper and it will keep easy for 12hours.

basically as soon as they die they release toxins into their brown meat first which then makes its way to the white. the main thing to look out for is the "dead mans fingers" or the grey/brown filters in the main shell these are where the crab fillters all its polluted water etc through.

Reactions: Mr. X
OK thanks, just wanted to clarify as some folk have this thing about killing crabs & lobsters before they boil or BBQ them.

I always pop my spiders in a bowl of tap water for 30 minutes that does the trick and then straight in the pot.

Lobsters I hate to say go in alive. Mart I saw your other post on cooking the lobbies for less time :) :) :) Its sound great with the cheese. Will be trying it tomorrow ( I hope )

"Deadman's Fingers" are actually the gills and should never be consumed fresh nor otherwise. If you kill your crab/lobster/scallops etc. and place on ice or an ice slurry (32'F) immidiately you're good to hold for freezing or cooking cooking 8-10 hours. Otherwise "live until the pot" or just before (30 seconds). Eating spoiled shellfish will give you THE WORST FOOD POISONING EVER--and could even lead to death! So if you don't agree--go ahead and spin the wheel.

Ditto what Scott said.

I bring them to shore is a net bag and transfer them to a freezer box with ice packs*. I don't make a great deal of effort to keep them alive, it's just the most expedient and least distressful way (*the icebox is primarily intended for fish). The tap water seems to kill them off quickly - adding salt makes no difference.

Ripping off claws sounds rather brutal but I have seen a lot of crabs running around with a claw, leg or even several legs missing - presumably the result of predators or stuck limbs. They used to say that crabs/lobsters re-generate missing limbs but I have since heard it claimed that is not true. Having now heard of 2 real life situations were people have cut their own arm off to escape (one in the USA desert, the other I think in a German basement), I guess people prefer to loose a limb rather than die - so perhaps crabs would too.

Hawkerrr is right, spider-crabs don't have much meat, so not worth taking unless you see a particularly large specimen.

Last edited:
They will regenerate but it takes several molts before any vestigal limb returns and then several more to be useful (as seen on really large blue crabs & stonies).

BTW I like my blue crabs BETWEEN the molt--softshells!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT