• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Caution taking high blood pressure pills

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cdavis

Jan 21, 2003
I recently started taking lisenopril, an ACEI drug that dilates arteries, for high blood pressure. Immediately noticed a decline in blood shift during dry full exhale statics. Almost certainly this carries over into real diving. Seems likely to either 1. result in shorter less comfortable dives or 2. increase the divers BO risk, or both. Experimenting, I stopped the drug and it took about 4 days for my blood shift to return to normal. Fair warning.

Anybody else have any information on this?

Reactions: Mr. X
Did you ever have any luck with Kyolic aged garlic extract which normalises blood pressure, in contrast to standard blood pressure medications, including angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs)? The ACEIs will reduce vasoconstriction and also reduce the water in your blood. The reduced vasoconstriction might be more of a concern than anything. Lowering your blood pressure will decrease the oxygen demand from your heart though.

Did you ever have any luck with Kyolic aged garlic extract which normalises blood pressure, in contrast to standard blood pressure medications, including angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs)? The ACEIs will reduce vasoconstriction and also reduce the water in your blood. The reduced vasoconstriction might be more of a concern than anything. Lowering your blood pressure will decrease the oxygen demand from your heart though.
Have not heard of that one. I'll do some research. I considered changing drugs to a diuretic, but its tricky to find the right dose and can have some pretty negative side effects. Since I don't get to go diving very often, simply stoping the drug before diving seems like the best choice.

It's worth a shot, some people with just eat straight garlic, but who wants to eat five cloves every day, the garlic extract sounds easier. For the majority of people garlic performs just as well as any prescription. Here is a link to a study if you care to get into the weeds at all, will at lease give you a better idea what the risks, benefits and effects are. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6966103/

I recently started taking lisenopril, an ACEI drug that dilates arteries, for high blood pressure. Immediately noticed a decline in blood shift during dry full exhale statics. Almost certainly this carries over into real diving. Seems likely to either 1. result in shorter less comfortable dives or 2. increase the divers BO risk, or both. Experimenting, I stopped the drug and it took about 4 days for my blood shift to return to normal. Fair warning.

Anybody else have any information on this?
hmmmm, very interesting. I have taken lisinopril for decades. I have not really thought about the effects on breath hold. But when I was younger, my breath holds felt easier, even pleasant, during the first half of the hold. Now, although there is no immediate struggle, on my breath holds are slightly less comfortable than when I was younger. I'm going to experiment with the lisinopril doses.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT