• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Changing People Opinion's??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Louise's editorial piece is...

• Informative

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Just some harmless humour

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Accurate

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Disgusting

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
DiveGirl on freediving

Hi all!
I in humbel respect I`ll write some words in this forum with all these great freedivers!- I just have to burn out some; because:

I have just red the other article about freediving in DiveGirl. :

http://www.divegirl.com/freedive.html

What am I missing here? Is this stupid, bad humor or simply evil?
All I know is that this is not funny, it shows no respect, and it can influence other people who do not know anything about freediving.
What does she want with this?:duh

And furthermore: She has attended a diveclass with Howard Jones? Crispin, what about this?

The problem however, is the impression she gives other people, because I can not understend what she really wants with this, so what with the other public? Or do we not care what scubachicks think of our beloved sport?

With respect

Lasse

Makes me laugh

NorthDiver,

Thanks for locating that piece - this was the one that I saw a while ago that made me laugh out loud.

Is it me, or does the whole article sound like she's annoyed because the Freedivers she was hanging around were good looking and didn't seem interested in her?

:naughty

Well!

There is something there Stephan, definitely! But it is rather bad journalism to write something like this because you do not get hit on by all the great bodys around...

Furthermore she later writes:
"But there is something deeply egocentric about free-diving."

YES!!! As with ALL top athlethes in ALL sports!!! But it is some difference between top freedivers competing in the WC and all us who recreate and hunt.......

L- again

I was never impressed with this article or dive girl for that matter, and if you see the top of this thread you'll see my comments.....

I meet people like this nearly every day - and I walk right on by.....

Mind made up

Thanks to North Diver for pointing out the recent article by the dive chick.

It is pretty apparent to me that she has nothing to say worth responding to, and I can't imagine anyone viewing our sport negatively based on her writing.

She is obviously using freediving to draw attention to herself. The best way to help her out would be to respond in writing. Leave her alone and she'll eventually find someone else to goad in hopes of getting a response that will boost her visibility.

Last edited:
ill probably be flamed for this but anyway

i think she has a point about the fact that the sport has become to politically inclined. people are all worried about this and that and that so and so's organization do there records that way and another does them another way.... you get the point

but she also has a very bad perspective of freediving...
she is writing this from a scuba perspective and they dont like us because we can go past 130 ft. and not have to decompress..:D

she only saw a record so could not begin to appreciate the sense of wonder of beiing underwater and not seeing any bubbles of having to fin hard to move slow. she doesnt get the simplicity of the sport. she's also really dumb for thinkin that the saftey divers are an integrated part of freediving. she understands not that they are only ther as a safety

oh well my toughts on the subject

On second thought...

....after calming down I now understand that she is rather harmless. This is what she wants DiveGirl to be all about; quote:

"Dive Girl is a UK based magazine about women who dive.
Our aim is to produce a magazine and web site that amuses and inspires divers everywhere and despite the name, we know the boys won't be able to keep their mits off it. Dive Girl is about anything that promotes women, encourages women and demystifies the stuff the boys get up to. "

Well, now she has demystefied freedivers I guess :D

Eric Fattah was right: we just have to leave this (and her) be.

signing off

L :)

estrogen quarterly

i think the article would have been a good one if she had stuck to the topic of the tech divers. i honestly think that a good number of the readers will see past the thoughtless criticism. i feel that our sport is so esoteric that it'll continue to receive bombardments from the media until they feel it's been cleaned up to their own personal standards.

~anderson

Last edited:
No flaming here

Hey Vince,
You will not be flamed by me. Your observation that the article in question had some valuable things that say about the sport that would be valuable for us to consider is, for me the very essence of why this discussion is important. Just because we don't like the way something was said, or disagree with much of what was said, or simply are upset by what was said does not mean that some or all of the information was not of value. Overcoming confirmation bias takes effort and a willingness to think in a critically meaningful way.

Would you be willing to start thread that presents your concerns about...
i think she has a point about the fact that the sport has become to politically inclined. people are all worried about this and that and that so and so's organization do there records that way and another does them another way.... you get the point
to focus part of this discussion on how the way this part of the sport's organization and functions are creating opinions and beliefs that we may want to have an influence on.

letter to the editor

i just sent this to her via her website.

louise,

i don't know how to take your article on yasmine. i'm a freediver over here in the states. i don't compete, but have been around competitions and completely agree with you on the chaos that takes place during them. however, i think freediving is so much more than competitions and there are many women that freely recreate in the water without tanks. call it not spectacular, nor exhilarating and i think you'd have a grand argument on your hand with some of your readers.

maybe your opinion of yasmine just came off wrong, but i felt bad for the female freediving community once i read it. i would think you, of all people, would like to promote women in all testosterone laden activities, especially water based. i understand the importance on your angle in this type of journalism, but i would really hope you would share the openmindedness that you so mindfully suggest all of us men take towards women in the water.

you've successfully hopped in a driver's seat which now allows you to reach a vast number of readers. i think the sport of freediving is exponentially growing in popularity, and it would be a complete shame to have people all over the world label you as one who discourages women from this wonderful sport.

sincerely,
anderson york
andrsn@2james.net

Reactions: tuomo
reply from the editor

Anderson

Thanks for your email - good points, well made.

Louise

Divernet * Dive Girl

well folks, .... there you have it. can't argue with that. :duh

~anderson

Reactions: Stephan Whelan
Let's hear a big cheer for Anderson!!

Well done...reasoned arguments always work a lot better than flaming and you've just proved that :D

hi everybody

i just read those articles and most posts on this thread. most of you seem to be really annoyed by this article.

my question is : who cares?

i´m diving for my own enjoyment. i like to share all that with anybody who cares. and i don´t care if anybody finds what i do ridiculous.

if i was to write an article about golf for example i bet that i´d get beaten to death by golfers. not because i´m evil but probably because as an outsider i would certainly draw a picture different to what a golfer would like.

fair enough.

i also think that divegirls article would have been a lot different if any of the apnea gods would have made a pass on her. so maybe next time anybody (who might call himself an apnea god) finds a journalist in his/her surroundings, think about all the ´good´ you can do to the freediving community and hit on her/him.

i also believe that yasmins achievements are well recognised. one dodgy article certainly won´t take away all that she has accomplished.

and last but not least i did laugh about the ´pyjamarama´.
and believe me i´m not disrespectful towards anybody who practises yoga.

it´s better to run around with a grin.

cheers to all apnea gods out there (or preferably apnea goddesses

roland

:D

Re: reply from the editor

Originally posted by andrsn
Thanks for your email - good points, well made.

In other words: Get lost you misogynistic oppressor of free speech.. :D

If you look at her article its more about her than anyone else.
"I did this", "I said that", "This is what I think"

Maybe her attitude puts guys off hitting on her?

meh, some people just aren't worth bothering with. Especially those who use media to promote their own views whilst claiming to be "informative". Whatever happened to journalistic integrity? :hmm

btw Roland: if anyone had made a pass at her the focus of the story might have been about the sex crazed, testorerone laden, socially inept, mad bulls in rut we freedivers truly are. Or is that just me? ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT