• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cheap carbon fins vs expensive fiberglass (help)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sam95

Oct 14, 2020
I am really excited to upgrade my first fins , but this excitement come with a strugle for me .
There is lot of things to be discussed:
in theory if you rank it like this
1. Carbon is the best
2.fiberglass is second
Thats easy but if you consider the cost and the brand ?! Thats different , and the brand !
My friend recommended that i buying d buy the f1 bifins with pathos Footpocket which is fiberglass is much better in terms of durability and performance wise against the cheap pure by leaderfins.
And so to me it isnt a day and night difference , i do spearfising mainly on reefs am 188cm and 106kg if it matter beside for the stiffnes part which i plan to get medium.
So my question is , do i pay 200 USD to get leaderfins pure carbon with their own made Footpockets?
Or pay 280 USD and get the d buy the f1 bifins with pathos Footpocket ?
Can you experienced guys out there give me an answer
Ps. Thats the range of money which suit me

Reactions: Diversity and Mr. X
I am really excited to upgrade my first fins , but this excitement come with a strugle for me .
There is lot of things to be discussed:
in theory if you rank it like this
1. Carbon is the best
2.fiberglass is second
Thats easy but if you consider the cost and the brand ?! Thats different , and the brand !
My friend recommended that i buying d buy the f1 bifins with pathos Footpocket which is fiberglass is much better in terms of durability and performance wise against the cheap pure by leaderfins.
And so to me it isnt a day and night difference , i do spearfising mainly on reefs am 188cm and 106kg if it matter beside for the stiffnes part which i plan to get medium.
So my question is , do i pay 200 USD to get leaderfins pure carbon with their own made Footpockets?
Or pay 280 USD and get the d buy the f1 bifins with pathos Footpocket ?
Can you experienced guys out there give me an answer
Ps. Thats the range of money which suit me
f1 bifins with pathos Footpocket

Just to complicate matters further, I believe there are composite blades which contain both carbon and glass fibre.

I would think glass fibre would be heavier but more robust. I suppose a composite of both might provide a happy medium/comprise, at least in theory?

There are new composite materials entering the market constantly. They have many different properties so the choice materials isn’t as simple as “carbon or composite”. The newer composite fibres exceed the performance of carbon at lower costs & also allow better artwork to be incorporated. The resins are also improving.
It’s not just as simple as comparing carbon to composite anymore, the best composites will be better than carbon going forward.

Last edited:
There are new composite materials entering the market constantly. They have many different properties so the choice materials isn’t as simple as “carbon or composite”.
The way the carbon fibers are used in fin-building makes it a composite as well. :)

I still fail to see the advantage of carbon fiber in fins. The advantages listed by most sites are either not useful in the water, are nullified by the water resistance, or offset by its own property. But that's when looking at it from a theoretical perspective.

I think since the ocean is quite a hostile place, that robustness and reliability are two factors that are highly underrated in fins, especially since they can be seen as safety equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew the fish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT