• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cheap fiberglass fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Diversity

Jun 14, 2021
Hi, i’ve had plastic Omer stingray fins for a while, and I’m curious about upgrading. I dive pretty cold and rough conditions, with big swim outs. and I’m curious what you guys think of cheap fiberglass fins (Leaderfins, spearmaster, mako) would it be a noticeable upgrade? Is it worth saving the money and buying better made carbon/fiberglass fins?

Reactions: Mr. X
A couple years ago, I upgraded from entry level mako plastics to Mako's carbons and was pleased. Yes, there are nicer fins out there but I was pleased with service first time around and the price was right (couldn't justify 500 USD fins given my beginner skill set.) The difference in blade stiffness, alone, made a world of difference to me as a relative beginner. Not to mention the addition of side rails.

After reading some of Vinski's posts on here, I've decided a quality pair of fiberglass blades is probably the right choice for me as I am usually diving among rocks, rigs, etc and from what I understood they perform equally as well as most carbon blades out there.

I have used the Omer Eagleray fins, they appeared extremely soft/floppy to me and provided little propulsion especially for someone close to 200 lbs or more. The Cressi Gara 3000 are awesome but perhaps a bit stiff for cold water and lighter people. I have used Leaderfins hard fiberglass ICE fins and medium Pure Carbon with Forza pockets. I like both fins quite a bit and there is a noticeable difference in efficiency and response compared to plastic. They seem to move through the water with less effort and strain on the knees. Holding the pure carbon and the fiberglass fins side by side, the fiberglass are significantly heavier and the blade is more than twice as thick. Sure the fiberglass will likely be more durable but there is a penalty.

Reactions: Mr. X and Diversity
A couple years ago, I upgraded from entry level mako plastics to Mako's carbons and was pleased. Yes, there are nicer fins out there but I was pleased with service first time around and the price was right (couldn't justify 500 USD fins given my beginner skill set.) The difference in blade stiffness, alone, made a world of difference to me as a relative beginner. Not to mention the addition of side rails.

After reading some of Vinski's posts on here, I've decided a quality pair of fiberglass blades is probably the right choice for me as I am usually diving among rocks, rigs, etc and from what I understood they perform equally as well as most carbon blades out there.
Same experience for me. Upgraded from Mako plastic to Leaderfins fiberglass. Got lucky and got to test fiber and carbon before buying. I preferred fiber ‍♂️
The difference in upgrading is very noticeable specially on the drops, (fewer kicks to reach my depths).
You wont regret any way you end up going with an upgrade.

Reactions: Diversity
Same experience for me. Upgraded from Mako plastic to Leaderfins fiberglass. Got lucky and got to test fiber and carbon before buying. I preferred fiber ‍♂️
The difference in upgrading is very noticeable specially on the drops, (fewer kicks to reach my depths).
You wont regret any way you end up going with an upgrade.
Interesting, why did you prefer it? Thanks

I have used the Omer Eagleray fins, they appeared extremely soft/floppy to me and provided little propulsion especially for someone close to 200 lbs or more. The Cressi Gara 3000 are awesome but perhaps a bit stiff for cold water and lighter people. I have used Leaderfins hard fiberglass ICE fins and medium Pure Carbon with Forza pockets. I like both fins quite a bit and there is a noticeable difference in efficiency and response compared to plastic. They seem to move through the water with less effort and strain on the knees. Holding the pure carbon and the fiberglass fins side by side, the fiberglass are significantly heavier and the blade is more than twice as thick. Sure the fiberglass will likely be more durable but there is a penalty.
It’s really good to know about the thickness! Although thinner and lighter performs better, I think I still may prefer fiberglass for durability

Interesting, why did you prefer it? Thanks
I don’t recall the details, but the fiber did feel to me like the ones I got better performance from. I got to try them on a freediving course and the second and third day I used the fiber after trying out both on the first day.

And like the others have mentioned, fiber are usually cheaper than carbon. All I do is shore dives on reef and rock structures and fiber can handle the beatings better than carbon (or so I was told)

If you can afford them, get the carbons. I've been using the Leaderfins Full carbon with their forza pocket for a year and I'm very happy. If you swim a lot, get the soft ones.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT