• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cheap fins or expensive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Stiffness is really the big issue for the surface. I tried SpecialFins hybrids in the pool during a subjective test last winter. We had medium hybrids and stiff hybrids in identical Omer footpockets. The mediums were consistently one half kick better (14 1/2 vs 15, counting right foot only) than my medium fiberglass blades in similar footpockets, and the stiff hybrids were one half kick better than the medium hybrids (14 vs 14 1/2) in a 25 m pool, but only when completely submerged. On the surface the mediums (hyubrid or fiberglass) were so much better that there was no real comparison with the stiff blades.
I'm slowly converting my dive buddies to more flexible blades, either plastic or fiberglass.
I have heard that blade angle makes a real difference too, when on the surface, but have almost no experience with them.
My vote is for flex!
Howard

Great info by everyone no doubt. But sorry I'm loosing the centre of gravity of this discussion.
Was it about cheap vs. expensive? Carbon vs. non-carbon? Stiff vs. Flex?
These three matches don't match, they are three different questions. Cheap doesn't mean flexible, Carbon doesn't mean stiff, and in some cases plastic doesn't mean cheap (see the Omer Ice or C4 Wahoo). The plastic Sporasub HD Elite (black blade) or Gara 2000 are stiffer than Falcon 25 and Bat 25, and also much cheaper. But which is better? Better is a relative concept. So the question is:
Which is better for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: WynisFish and azapa
I agree this thread has gotten a bit off track,

One thing I've noticed when it comes to spearfishing gear, what one person swears by, someone else rubbishes.

I think that swimming with a pair of Picasso Team Black's are like strapping lengths of 4" x 2" lumber to your feet, but my dive buddy Jonathon swears by them.

I didn't like the pair of Gary Fisher Power Fins that I tried, but there must be a good reason that those fins are almost reaching a cult status with spearo's here in NZ and abroad.

Fin choice is such an individual thing, there are many factors governing your decision,

"do you scramble over rocks or do you do mostly boat dives"
"are you a spearo, or are you a pure freediver going for records"
"how long to ship goods from the US or do I buy locally"
"is my wife gonna kill me for spending $500 on a new pair of fins"

(the answer to the last one is YES ABSOLUTLY!!!!)

Take all these factors into account and you may come to a final decision on a paticular type of fin, or you may try several before trying something which works for you.

So to answer your question "Cheap Fins or Expensive" I say cheap plastic blades are fine, I love my Immersion Esclapez. Others will swear by C4 carbon, omer ice etc etc and say that you get what you pay for.

Who's wrong? well neither of us, as it all comes down what works for you, as it's such an individual thing.

Reactions: WynisFish
To Dave, I just measured from you graph the spread of the fins' times leaving out the two slowest, and I found at 30m depth a difference of about 4 seconds. With the Fisher Power fins at approx 36s touching plate, and with Omer Millenium at 40s. 4 second measured over 40' is to me like a 10% difference.

I think that different fin caracteristics translate to different intensity, different workload and use of different musclegroups. Explaining why we seem to like such a wide range of different caracteristics.

Testing fins going deep is also very diffrent to dynamics in pools.
I think that differences in material become more pronounced going to greater depths.
But Dave's graph can be a good guide for the beginners to show that it's a good idea to start with a medium or soft cheap fin that are durable and comfortable with a good angle. Work on one's muscles, test different blades over a year or two, going deeper, develloping one's own style and then choose a fin matching your personal develloped preferences.

Perhabs Dave you can use the same footpockets and switch blades as you try out what you think is a typical plastic, fibreglas, and carbon blade to 50m dives. A HR monitor recording allong with your divegraph would be intresting. Have good rest between dives, laying your legs high to get rid of any acidation. When you decide to test 3 blade types,
conduct 3 sessions, shifting the order of blades used.

I'm looking very much forward to your dynamic tests, as well as you monofin tests!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Hi guys,
to add my comment to question which blade is better... the expensive one or cheaper... have to say that every freediver has a different body / different kind of movement / different need and fins should reflect that.

For example my C4 works well for me, but I lent it to my friend who dives 9 years with old Omer plastics fins... and he wasn´t able to swim properly with them. He was so unhappy because it was really strange for him. So he turned back to his old plastic Omers fins.

By the way it took me about 5 diving lessons to addapt my kicking technique to these fins to could get the efficiency which these fins offer.

I hope you know what I mean...

Generally speaking, when you fin technique is bad, and you have no will to work on it, you're better off with cheap close healed scuba fins.

Umberto does 60m CW dives with these, so no worries they work and are very forgiving.

Happily most freedivers want to improve their technique. With this attitude you can find the good in most fins.

Now making a choice for a fin has to do with money, if you had unlimited you could buy all fins, and choose according to that unique specific situation.

Perhaps a list of questions would help a freediver in need to a satisfying choice?

1) Determine you budget, look down in your wallet when there isn't a hole there should be some cash. ;)

2) Establish what situations you will use them in:

a) Spearing, recreational, snorkelling, deep diving, FRC, currents
b) The range of depth
c) The length of your diving sessions

3) The strength and endurance you have or want to put in.

4) The durability of the fin.

5) Future customisations needed? (switching blades?)

Putting all the answers together you should get a basic idea of the following variables:

1) softness of the fin.
2) material.

Now with budget and materials in mind draw up the list of available fins and brands, and find for each the best fit to your determined needs.

By now your list should be pretty narrow, 2 - 5 choices, now consult DB members for their experience and advice.

Visiting a few competitions, freedive - spearfish clubs to test out fins yourself is even better.

Know yourself, the sea and circumstances and it's easy to find a fitting fin.

Love, Courage and water,

Kars

I thought it pertinent to give you all an update seeing as this thread seems to have been given another spark of life.

I've been freediving for a year now. When I started I was a full time student and money was extremely tight. So hence budget was high on my list when choosing gear.

I bought a cheap wetsuit, that has served me well. But it was time to upgrade. A nice new Beuchat 5.5mm Mundial Prestige now has pride of place in my dive kit.
item_wetsuit_beuchat_prestige.jpg

Ive decided my fins will get upgraded in the next couple of weeks also.

My Immersion Green's are a great pair of fins. I got them 2nd hand for $100 and they have served me very well (and still do). Constant weight dives to 20 metres aren't a problem, nor is doing a dynamic of 100m in the pool.

So like I said I've decided to upgrade. I feel I've started to outgrow the Esclapez. My pair are quite a bit shorter than standard. (cut down by the previous owner not me)

My new fin of choice is....... drum roll please.

cressigray180.jpg
The Cressi Gara 300LD

My reasons for choosing this particular fin are as follows

Plastic blades can take the rough treatment and abuse I seem to give them. (I decided against composite for this reason)

Reasonable price

And most importantly when I tried a freinds pair of these they Felt right for me.

So yeah I recommend to all new spearo's buy a cheap and soft pair of fins for your first year or two of diving. Then try several freinds fins on for size and decide what you'd like to upgrade to.

Last edited:
Dave,
I was looking at some old threads and came back across this one. What I'm wondering is why you didn't test the Cressis when you did your test?
I've been completely oblivious to the fact that despite choosing the 300LDs for bifin use, you didn't include them in the test.
Have you tested them (3000 LDs) directly against any of the others?
Are you still using them a year later?

As far as the test goes, the results are fine. Artificially controlling for kick speed or width isn't necessary, because you were testing performance, not mechanics.Differences in actual effort were obvious. The C-4s didn't perform as well. Those results were quantifiable, not qualitative.

I did a test this fall with 3 fins to look at perceived effort. I had one Omer footpocket with a SpecialFin medium Blue Water Special blade in it, one Dessault footpocket with the other SpecialFin blade, and I brought 1 of my E-greens. I swam laps for an half an hour, swapping randomly among the 3 fins. They were all different, with the Omer footpocket feeling stiffer than the Dessault, and the E-green larger (floppier) and therefore feeling less precise, but I discovered that within the stiffness range and materials of the 3 fins, I easily adapted to any of them (Using 5 mm socks or fin keepers makes the E-greens feel as precise as the other two, but I had neither with me that day).

And going back to the original question of the thread, and repeating the answers given by several members already,
cheap is fine
They are likely to do whatever you want of them. Pay attention to the stiffness. It's a lot more important than price or materials. Much of the rest of it is for those wintertime discussions when we aren't in the water much, and looking for that next "I need".

btw I'll be wearing my E-greens tomorrow in Whittier. They're calling for 30-50 kt winds, air temperatures around 10F (-12C), and water temperature at 38-40F (4-5C) so my biggest problem will NOT be which fin is the very best.

Howard

Last edited:
why you didn't test the Cressis when you did your test?
I've been completely oblivious to the fact that despite choosing the 300LDs for bifin use, you didn't include them in the test.
Have you tested them (3000 LDs) directly against any of the others?
Are you still using them a year later?

I didn't have the Cressis when I did the test; instead I owned C4 80s and Matrix #3s. The test indicated I would be better off with something a little stiffer than the 80s for general use, the 80s being fine for up and down but poor in current. The 3000LDs fitted the bill nicely and I'm still using that pair for nearly all my diving. Nice footpockets too.

Thanks,
I can understand it. The Imersion greens do the same for me. The water was 39F (3-4C) yesterday, and they still weren't too stiff on the surface or down to 55 ft (18? m).
It's amazing how a little chilly water can modify one's goals for the day, but the gear worked great.
Howard

I was itching for a set of fiber reinforced blades. I ultimately decided on Omer Stingray Carbon 30s. They are much different than the Cressi Gara 2000HF fins which have been my mainstay for over 10 years now.

The new fins may allow me to refine my kicking technique. It is easier to swing the more compliant blades from the hips I think. Although I have a lot of years in the sport, I am only now practicing refinement of my technique.

I have not yet though noticed a significant increase in performance for any aspect of my diving. I think it boils down to bottom time. My maximum surface to surface times are perhaps 2:30 with the average more like 1:45 to 2:00. That hasn't changed since the switch.

I'm just beginning with them. We'll see if there is anything noticeable as I gain more experience with them.

I will say that the Cressi fins are durable. I've put mine through a lot of dive trips.

But Dave's graph can be a good guide for the beginners to show that it's a good idea to start with a medium or soft cheap fin that are durable and comfortable with a good angle. Work on one's muscles, test different blades over a year or two, going deeper, develloping one's own style and then choose a fin matching your personal develloped preferences.

Kars

I second this.
I suck badly at this sport and when i started training i was tempted to get some cool carbon and expensive bi fins, mostrly to boost my confidence and feel pretty cool at the pool. Clearly i didn't waste any money on it and got a decent omer sting ray which i've been using for a year now and feel perfect for my 75m dinamyc :) As soon as i have all aspect of my tecnique sorted out (perfect) then i might think about spending some money on the carbon blade.

Thomas

Visiting a few competitions, freedive - spearfish clubs to test out fins yourself is even better.

Love, Courage and water,

Kars

Allow me to add the following:

if you train with a decent amount of people, you should be able to ask local shops or directly the company selling the fins for 1 or two pair to test them out. I was able to try the C4 monofin (just for the fun of it) and some locally made carbon blade for normal fins. At the end, few people got their bi fins from the small company and i guess it was definetly worth it.

EDIT: the bi fin where SCL, small company from italy.
http://www.pinneincarbonio-scl.com/

Last edited:
I think that the kars point is perfect, umberto did 60 metres with sporasub elite bi fins (30 euros at the shops), mayol and maiorca did over 50 m with fins that today swimmers use for training short and hard. The dave's test is a demonstration that if u can't go deep is not ur fins but ur head/body u can do any dept with any fin.
I've bought since some months a pair of scl carbons bi fins, after having tried a lot of normal and carbon bi fins, the result ;in my opinion, is that the carbon fins help you in your critical dive, with critical dive i mean when u're working with your max dept/distance where pysical and mental feelings are really important, the carbon blade in 90% of time is softer and give you a better efficency i've noticed that my legs feel less tired with the carbon fins compared with my cressi gara professional (the worst bi fins ever made), the difference can't be measured in easy dives because the amount of enery and oxigen spent is really small so the difference will be so thick that we'll not noticed it. Another factor that i think is really important is the feelings with the fins, if it gives you a strange input wu'll not feel confortable with it, i've decided to do not buy the c4 because the footpocket is too heavy in my opinion like an flatiron, and the blade too soft and work only in the end of it (that's why the tipical c4 balde design), maybe they have the same efficency of others carbon bi fins, but ur head will have a different opinion. At the end choose cheap plastic bi fins if u're starting now freediving/spearfishing cuz they're almost indestructible and chap, later if u wanna go on and be really cool buy a pair of carbon fins and now u've got a lot of stuff to talk about with ur friends at the pub about fins efficency LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: WynisFish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT