• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cheap Watch?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
I already have a couple of dive watches, a D-3 and a Stinger, but they are too big to wear around all the time, and I can't get the timers to work correctly while I am swimming laps.:(

I am looking for a cheap work-out watch for swimming and timing apnea tables. It should be water-proof and have a stop watch as well as a repeat timer for "departs" in the pool.

Since it will not be my main dive watch I also don't want to break the bank on it- looking to spend less than $30 US.

So, what is everyone else using?

Jon

Jon,

What's the problem with the D3?

Adrian

my problem with d3 in pool training

since the begining place of the pool is shallow (less than 1.5 meter) when you dive and start to swim underwater its bottom timer does not activate.It only activates after the half of the distance and it also record those as a dive so at the end there is many many many useless dive recorded on the watch, this means when you search for specific dive in the log book you have to pust the buttuon several hundereds time. At the end i come up with not to use it in the pool:(

Murat said it.

Everytime I set the timer and start to swim it goes into "dive mode" and screws up my time.
Same goes when trying to use the countdown timer.
When I try and do underwater laps the watch stops recording any info once I reach the "shallow" end of the pool.

I just got back from shopping and found a Timex Ironman watch for $34. A little over my budget, but I can live with it.;)

Jon

Cheap watch? isn't it a bit too late to open a thread about a wedding gift for Ted? :D

Guys, do you know that to use the timer on the D3 you have to turn off the freedive and guage modes? Otherwise as you say the depth guage/freediver function works and as Murat said is totally useless for shallow water.

Adrian

I had one of those Aquatech watches and it died on me in the bathtub. Would the temperature of water decrease the water resistance?

This is the watch I ended up getting. It sells for $45 on line, and at most of the stores I went to, but Target had it for $34.

I wanted some specific stopwatch modes for lap swimming and it had them.

I know they had a whole thread on one of the DIR lists one time about cheap dive watches- since DIR divers don't use dive computors and back up their bottom timers with cheap digital watches. They are also good for timing those short deep stops on mix dives.

Some of my buddies picked up watches for $15, but I didn't see any for that price that I could read easily enough. This will also be every day watch since I don't like to wear a big dive watch around all the time.

I have tried just using the D-3 in stop watch mode while lap swimming, but the thing would go into AC mode, water activated, and drive me nuts.

What are others wearing for a cheap watch work-out watch?

Jon

Last edited:
I wear an el-cheapo Timex Ironman Triathlon watch I got from Wal-mart for around 40$. It boasts a 200m water resistance, which I haven't tested. I've had it for 4-5 years now and have changed the strap a few times. I've banged it around so much now that all the paint has come off and you see the cream-colored glass fiber-filled plastic body rather than the original silver.

I use it as a primary timer at competitions and my D3 timer as second timer.

Good choice!:)

Peter

got e-mail from suunto few weeks before about the smilar problem

Hi,
I am asking about wrist top. If you can not erase it from the memory what will
happen then? How many days and dives does the log record??? I did some pool traning
with it and its useless to keep them in memory of the watch, they makes the job
harder when i am looking for dives of few weeks before, i have to push the buttons
hundreds times. What can i do??
Thanks in advance.
Murat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Murat,

Thank you for your response. Nothing, unfortunately, the D3 like all computers
once wet and even only 6 feet deep will start to log. Your options are the
following, you can put the unit into log to pc transfer mode, this gives you 10
minutes of no log time. Or if the computer can go into gauge mode, you
shouldn't have any logs either. Otherwise the only other option is to not wear
it in the pool and only use analog gauges.

Cheers,

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT