• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cheapest place to train as a freediver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Skewt

Sep 17, 2017
Hey guys looking for a place to train for an extended period of time (1-2months) and was wondering what the best and least expensive place to do it in is? Deans blue hole? Kona Hawaii? Something preferably decently close to my home in FL. Some place that has access to depth 24/7, and that I could rent a cheap place for a month or 2 and train 5 or so days a week. Thanks

Not sure how deep you are looking for but there are some fairly deep springs that you could train without leaving Florida.

I've done lots of research on this. So let's leave flights out of the discussion first. Dahab would probably be the cheapest hut major drawbacks are the winter from November until March the water is like 21-23 Celsius. Food poisoning is almost guaranteed so you'll lose time training. I lived there for six months probably was sick every 2.5 weeks on average. Very cheap to train though and easy to find buddies. Taxi is roughly $2 per person if shared and you'll be obliged to eat at Auqua Marina which ends up being another $7.

Next option is Southeast Asia. Freedive plus Panglao charges around $350 a month to use a buoy. Also Amed Bali with Apneista is not very expensive. However there is a mild current in both places so if you're diving 50+m this can be a bit annoying.

Final option I've found is Dominica with Jonathan Sunnex. His school is called Blue Element. He charges $425 a month but to use a platform and counterbalance. A short swim from shore. Zero current, zero thermocline and unlimited depth. The water is 25-29 all year long so thickest suit you'll need is 3mm. Slightly more expensive than some other options but you get the best conditions in the world, a counterbalance and you could do coaching with one of the best coaches in the world.

Living expenses are cheapest in Dahab and Phillipines but Dominica is not much higher. Flights from Florida are cheaper to Dominica also you'd fly into Guadalupe or Martinique and take a ferry. Dahab and Southeast Asia are a long journey. I've been to Amed and Dahab. I head to Dominica in a couple weeks. I can't take any more food poisoning in Egypt and I want to see my family in the US so SE Asia is too far. PM if you need more details.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DaniFreedives
I've done lots of research on this. So let's leave flights out of the discussion first. Dahab would probably be the cheapest hut major drawbacks are the winter from November until March the water is like 21-23 Celsius. Food poisoning is almost guaranteed so you'll lose time training. I lived there for six months probably was sick every 2.5 weeks on average. Very cheap to train though and easy to find buddies. Taxi is roughly $2 per person if shared and you'll be obliged to eat at Auqua Marina which ends up being another $7.

Next option is Southeast Asia. Freedive plus Panglao charges around $350 a month to use a buoy. Also Amed Bali with Apneista is not very expensive. However there is a mild current in both places so if you're diving 50+m this can be a bit annoying.

Final option I've found is Dominica with Jonathan Sunnex. His school is called Blue Element. He charges $425 a month but to use a platform and counterbalance. A short swim from shore. Zero current, zero thermocline and unlimited depth. The water is 25-29 all year long so thickest suit you'll need is 3mm. Slightly more expensive than some other options but you get the best conditions in the world, a counterbalance and you could do coaching with one of the best coaches in the world.

Living expenses are cheapest in Dahab and Phillipines but Dominica is not much higher. Flights from Florida are cheaper to Dominica also you'd fly into Guadalupe or Martinique and take a ferry. Dahab and Southeast Asia are a long journey. I've been to Amed and Dahab. I head to Dominica in a couple weeks. I can't take any more food poisoning in Egypt and I want to see my family in the US so SE Asia is too far. PM if you need more details.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I only got sick 4 days in 6 months in dahab. You just liked having your ameoba

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT