• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chef Al recipe - Mango Mahi Tango

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

agbiv

Spear, cook, and eat fish
May 17, 2008
Thus begins a series of recipes I have presented at various functions, mostly at the annual Aransas Pass Shrimp-o-ree, which celebrates the Texas Gulf Coast shrimpers and our catches of wild caught Gulf brown shrimp. I work as a store manager for H-E-B (Howard E. Butt) grocery stores. Here in Texas for over 100 years with 300 stores and 30+ in Mexico. Any reference to H-E-B is for my PR or sales plug at the events. Of course use your local sources and support local industry. All quantities are in US standards not metric (math challenged persons please accept my appology in advance).

Feel free to steal, I mean addapt, any recipe to your tastes and also share with anyone. The only copy right on these is the love of cooking and pleasing someone with excellent table fare.

Mango Mahi Tango

serves 4

Mahi mahi (Hawaiian), also known along the Texas Gulf [of Mexico]Coast as Dorado or Dolphin Fish not a marine mammal), is a deeper water free swimming fish. Named Dorado for the beautiful gold undertones it also has deep greens and blue above which fade upon capture. The meat is firm with large grain that cooks to almost white. It has a mild flavor that is complimented by rich or spicey side dishes. Mahi lends itself to almost any preparation, especially grilling or baking. This recipe puts the gold back into the Dorado and elicits both the flavors and ambiance of the tropical isles (which is where I wish to be right now!). I've also strived to create a low sodium and saturated fat free explosion of flavor.

Ingredients/location in store
  • 4 ea. - 1/3 lb skinless Mahi Mahi fillets. Your H-E-B Fish Market Partner can skin the fillets for you! Fresh Fish Market or frozen fillets DBer's spear your own.
  • 1 ea. - 1 lb H-E-B Wild Gulf Shrimp 51-60 ct P & D (peeled & deveined). Fresh or thawed under cold running water. Fresh Fish Market Frozen Section
  • 1 ea. - Container H-E-B Ready-Fresh-Go mango Pico de Gallo. Pico is made with equal parts of chopped mango, ripe tomatoes, white onion, some cilantro, diced serrano pepper, dash of minced garlic and a squirt of lemon or lime juice. Make 2 cups with using 1 mango as a measure. Refrigerated Produce
  • 2 ea. - 8 oz cups of del Monte Fruit medly (Hawaiin Style Medley). Refrigerateed Produce
  • 1 ea. - 12 oz H-E-B Harvest Moon mandarin oranges. canned fruit aisle
  • 1 ea. - 23.8 oz H-E-B Harvest Moon mango halves in syrup. canned fruit aisle
  • 4 Tbsp H-E-B light olive oil. baking aisle
  • 1/4 cup Chenin Blanc white wine. wine aisle
  • Dash of your favorite Caribbean or Cajun spice as a finishing dash. For the lowest sodium - mix 1 tsp ea. dry cayane pepper, paprika, oregano, basil, whirl in food processor, do not touch eyes or nose, do not breath in.
Preparation
  • Coat bottom of large skillet with olive oil. Heat to medium high heat.
  • Chop up mango halves (inside jar is easier).
  • Sear Mahi on both sides- about 45 seconds on both sides.
  • Add all fruit and mango Pico de Gallo to skillet. Include juice from canned fruits. Add wine for flavor only because the alcohol evaporates at tempuratures above 95' F.
  • Bring entire pan to a light boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Do not cover. We want the juice to reduce slightly.
  • Bring heat back up to medium high and all to a boil. Add drained shrimp.
  • Boil until shrimp makes a "C" (means "cooked", "O" is overcooked, and "Q" is should've quit along time ago). Remove at once.
  • Serve with slotted spoon. Dash the spice on top. Use reduce juice to drenchwhite rice side dish or serve with seasoned Northwest Coast Organic Brown Rice [recipe coming soon].
Enjoy! :friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT