• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chumming Results

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Had a very exciting dive day on friday. I went up the Norcal coast to Fort Ross and jumped into the water. I was greeted by three sea otters that were playing around 20' in front of me and a harbour seal whose white sides I saw streaking around underwater while donning my gear.

The swell was down but so was the visibility ~5'. Not being a stranger to low vis conditions I got on top of my float and took a leisurely 10 min. swim to a kelpy patch. I tied off my float in about 25'. I dove down and quickly scouted the bottom. Wasn't fishy, but I decided to give it a try anyway. I took some abalone scraps a shoved them in the rocks directly under my float. I then proceded to fruitlessly swim around and get cold. I saw a few blues and greenlings but nothing worth pulling the trigger on. After 15 minutes I dove on my float and approached the scraps from 10' away. Nothing. A few more chilly dives and 15 minutes later I tried again w/ the same approach...nothing. Now this wasn't really a surprise because I've tried chumming numerous times w/ urchins on the west coast and crushed mussels and menhaden on the east coast. The only thing that has ever happened was my second shark encounter in the last 1 1/2 years. The shark took my float and stringer w/ a half dozen fish when we were burlying w/ the menhaden, but his was pretty far from the chum slick and probably just from the fish on my stringer (even after I told myself not to leave fish in the water after inccident #1 which was a lot scarier).

I do the routine again and this time drop about 20' away from my float and pull myself along the bottom. The scarps come into view and still nothing. I keep swimming up and suddenly whoa... I stop dead in my tracks and slowly push myself backwards with my left hand which was gripping the rocks. In front of me a see a huge cabezon sprawles out ON TOP of the ab scraps. Incredible I didn't see it before very well camoflaged... huge head. It's fan-like pectoral fins are splayed out and it's go to be at least 15" wide which is the minimum length... Now I'm not from the west coast so were not talking 15lbs big were talking 9lbs, still the biggest thing I've seen underwater out here save a 30"+ ling after the season and stuff that breaths air ( :waterwork I miss my 30lb stripers).

Plop the spear through her head and now shes in the fridge. Ummmm gravid female eggs so tasty (actually poisonus so eating is a no-no). The best part was the first succes with baiting which will be further explored...

good to hear you're getting some shooting in Chris! Me and Lee got out yesterday and busted some sheeps up...They're all over the jetties staging up for the run offshore. The ocean was less than one foot and I'm kicking myself for not attempting to find something in deeper water to shoot at...I was reading reports of Bonita and a few kings and wahoo after we got back in and almost cried.

Gimme a shout sometime soon.

ps get a digital camera and post some damn pics!

I agree with John. Stop the torture and shows us some pics.
By the way how are those molds coming along.

The muzzles are done. Just need that 3/32" SS from Mcmaster to arrrive to add the pin. they look good. They also fit that Ti pretty well, I think you'll be happy.

Just another option:

I've used 3/32" welding rod for pins & they work great - no probs so far.

Yeah, thats what Albert (ajwaverider) told me to do. Just use the SS filler rod. However I can't find anything around here so figured it would just be easier to order it. However, Fuzz, telling me where to pick-up some cheap teak or paduke would be appreciated.

http://www.macbeath.com/ is a good place for Padauk, Teak, & Purpleheart. I believe Berkeley is their main location. Call & find out when they get shipments(to get the primo pieces)

Welding rods can be found in any Home Depot, Orchard Supply store(got some there), or Loews.

There are a few avid gun builders on retrosub - you should join the yahoo group & hook up with some of the local builders.

Give me a call, we'll make it out one of these days ;)

BTW, good job on the cab - ab guts are like gold for them :D

How'd it taste? I haven't acquired a taste for cab yet but some people love it & they sell them live at chinese restaurants for $20/pound!!! Shot a couple 10+ pound ones & they tasted like rubber :(

Fuzz! I think Chris was looking for tig filler rod but stick rods will work if you clean the flux off.I went to my storage today and totally forgot to look at the rods I have.I've got a couple bundles of filler rod leftover from diffrent jobs and i'm sure ther's some 316L 3/32 in there somewhere.Let me know what the finish is like on the rods you get from Mcmaster carr.Albert

Just got the shipment about an hour ago. The rods are unpolished but perfect size. I'm happy. Unfortunatly the mold was destroyed!!! Seriously the rtv silicone bonded to the epoxy. I've got five muzzles pulled. The first one is set, needs a coat of paint tomorrow then epoxy in the pin and muzzle stabiliser and it's in the mail to sunny Florida. Enjoy.

Fuzz, we'll get out as soon as the swell drops from 18'! Actually I'll be gone until the middle of January. Off to chico for a week then away for Christmas and then a trip down south to Mexico or LA area. I'll give you a ring when I'm back and we'll step it up.

John looks like your down to two muzzles! I might be able to savage something or if I can sell a few I can pour a new mold. You'll definately get one or two soon. They won't be as refined as I wanted b/c I just finished the testing phase but I think you guys will be pleased.

-Chris

your accu-track is on the way as of tomorow.

AJ let me know if you need a track also, I get a 47" track that fits the TI for a good price...lemme know and I'll get my buddy to put one on order for ya...then mail it down asap.

Accutrack? I didn't know you had the skinny on some . I'll give you a call to find out
somemore about it. Albert

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT