• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cilento National Park, Italy.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

XP_Dude

Jan 14, 2005
Does anybody have any information on the Cilento National Park in Italy and if it is ok to spearfish there?
Thanks
XPD.

Hi XP Dude, Cilento? that's in the south of italy. Not my waters, but i can give you pretty detailed information.
Yes, spearfishing is allowed on almost all the park's coastline, except around places called Camerota, Baia Infreschi and a cape called Punta Licosa that's a protected sealife sanctuary (no spearing, no boats, no swimming there). The best place for spearfishing are places called Acciarola (sargo, bass, gilthead) and Palinuro (groupers, dentex, amberjacks). Following full review of best park's spearfishing spots.
1- between the town of Agropoli and Ascea: GOOD, but that's where forbidden Punta Licosa is located. The surroundings are interesting. In Agnone, zone called Ripe Rosse, there's good sahllow water spot with rocks, green (Poseydonia) and sand: octopus, cuttlefish, moray eels, curvinas. Nearby better places: Pioppi and Acciaroli. Similar to Agnone but with better fish (big sargos).
Stay away from the line between Casal Velino and Ascea: dirty water, no fish.

2- From Ascea to Palinuro: VERY BEAUTIFUL, especially from Palinuro: caves, corals, grouper, dentex, gilthead and Amberjack, especially around a beach called Spiaggia Marinella at Palinuro. Then from Ascea Marina, Pisciotta e Caprioli, sand and rocks, octopus. The best is the line between Palinuro - Camerota - Sapri - Maratea. Beware forbidden areas Camerota and Baia Infreschi.
Hope this helps, ciao

Moreover XPD, i'll be offline for a couple of days, so let me add some information about places to see (Amalfi, wonderful ancient town), Pompeii (not too far), Naples (great museums, have a pizza at Di Matteo's and Porta Alba, the most ancient pizzerias), Capri island.
About spearfishing, tips about law in Italy:
-no scuba hunting
-no night spearing
-no speargun loaded off the water, no guns to boys younger than 16
-harvest limit: maximum 5kg fish per day, limit that can be exceeded if one single fish weighs more than 5kg (example: in a day you may fish a 150kg tuna plus 4,9 kg of other mixed fishes)
-groupers limit: maximum 1 grouper per day (whatever species of grouper)
- a buoy or float with dive flag is compulsory: you must dive within a range of 50 meters from the buoy (bounty 1032 euro)
-summer rule: spear 500 meters from beaches with swimmers (the distance must be kept only in summer)
-something i surely forgot
that's it, ciao again

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT