• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

CLEAR : SAMBA : BLACKOUT Ratio

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pat fish

staying in the blue zone
Feb 19, 2004
CLEAR : SAMBA : BLACKOUT Ratio in max. statics

How often do you have a samba or blackout in max. statics compared to the number of clear finished statics?

The idea to start a poll on this controversial topic came up after i blacked out for the first time during a static. Some training partners were offended because i didn't find it dramatic at all and simply said "that's what we have a safety buddy for.."

Do we have to accept sambas in our training routine to make progress? My personal opinion is to approve to that. But some of my training partners disapprove and always try to stay on the side of clear statics. I think we can only improve by getting to know the edge in a safe training environment and accept a samba every once in a while.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I wanted to start a poll originally... but it isn't possible to turn a thread into a poll subsequent...

maybe you administrators can... cause it says:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

sorry for that

Hi Pat,

Of my last 16-20 max attempts I've only samba'd once, no blackouts.

I have had multipule Hypocapnic LMC's and two hypocapnic blackouts, but none in the last 6 weeks since I changed my breathe-up routine.

Cheers,
Aaron

:p Until recently, I Samba once every training session generally. I have had a BO twice. Clean... the odd one here or there ;) Dry statics I have about 50% ratio I think, but hard to tell if I actually had a samba or just losing a few of my memories. Dry, I am always trying to push my limits to find my limits, in the safety of not being in the water. Wet I try to take it down a notch, but not doing many so far, it is hard to determine where the end is at this time. Thereby the reason for quite a few sambas.

I think you would have to be a pretty lucky person to make the 7:30+ min statics without having experienced a samba in your history of practice. So I think buddies should be aware that this is part of the training and it will occur, to everybody who tries to find the max.

Cheers,

Tyler

Never had a samba or a b/o.
When I started freediving, my general thought was that ever getting one of those would be a faliure and that if I do everything right there's no reason for it ever to happen.

From doing a lot of reading here, I changed my mind a bit.
I still hope never to have one, but I don't think that if it'll happen I'll react so bad to it nowdays.

I find it more reasonable now that sometimes the only way to know your current limit (and even then you might be mistaken) is when getting a samba or BO.
The question that interest me is, if getting to the state where you get a samba/BO helps you to extend your limits more than getting near that stage.

Any opinions?

I agree with Pat and Tyler that having the occasional samba/BO is acceptable as part of training, but I am only saying this for myself and would never encourage a newbie to have this attitude. I know from experience that it can be upsetting for other freedivers to see a major LMC, but I warn my buddy if I am about to do something which is near the limit.

In the 9 months I have been freediving, I have been the buddy to a samba dancer three times and done two great blackouts myself, so I can hardly say that it doesn't happen! On most of these occasions, the person involved was not doing something wrong, but merely trying to test their limits.

Cheers

Lucia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT