• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Close Encounters With The Fierce Kind

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

deep thinker

Let the good times roll
Jan 19, 2006
Its 7:30 Saturday morning as we arrive at Struisbaai harbour after a 2 and a half hour trip from Cape Town. The water looks like a mirror reflecting the light cloud cover in the early morning sun and there is no sign of wind for the day to follow, today well be seeing some serious yellowtail action on the reefs off the coast of this little town is what is going through everybodys mind. We gear up and launch the boat and set off for our first spot on the gps markers. On the way there we saw some serious bird action and decided to investigate just in case its yellow tail, on arrival we see that its not yellow tail but bonito, schools and schools of bonito. The fist diver jumps in the water so fast he almost forgets to connect his float line but as he goes down the fish disappear almost immediately. So our skipper decides to rather go to our planned destination than spend the first hour of our day chasing these fish.
Arriving at 5mile bank we go overboard for our first drift down the strong current normally assosiated with that area. The current is almost non existent and the yellow tail that was supposed to be there isnt but we get the most amazing dive with 20m+ vis. After a few drifts with no yellowtail and only two smallish reef fish we decide to go dive one of the nearby wrecks and on the way there we once again spot the seagulls working hard, maybe its the yellowtail, and we go after them again. Its not the yellowtail but the bonito, this time two divers go over and start giving chase to the fast moving school of fish.
I get dropped off a bit ahead of the fish and while loading my 1.1 apex I see the fish flash past me in the water, this time the vis isns so great maybe 3m, and then theyre gone. I look up out the water to see where the birds are and see them about 10m in front of me so I start finning in their direction after a few metres I look up again and this time I cant even see the birds. So I start looking for the rest of our crew and as I turn to my left to see if anybody is behind me I saw a GWS fin sticking out the water only 3 or 4m away from me and I imediately stick my gun handle in the air to ask for a quick pick up, at that very same moment I see the shark turning and coming straight at me, I also see our boat coming towards me at full speed so I drop my head in the water and stick my gun in the direction of the GWS closing fast now:martial . The next moment the boat pulls up next to me and two of the other difers on the boat yank me out the water gun and all. On the boat Im told that the shark was about 2.5m long and that it was about a meter away from me, our skipper ran over it with the boat and only then did it turn away so my gun would have been of no use as I didnt even see it coming from a different angle than what I expected.
After the initail adrenalin rush subsided I decided it wise not to tempt fate twice that day and offered to drive the boat while the rest of the team dives, naturally they except and we built up a nice tally for the day while also discovering a new reef with some fat romans cruising around. Allthough the rest of the day was uneventfull shark wise Im still going to acuiere a shark sheild before the next trip and at least I got a good tan and good boating experience on my first trip out on the open water. On the bright side of it all I got to see something for free tourists pay to do and I didnt even have to go down in a cage.
Our tally for the day:
8 good sized parrot fish, 3 stray bonitos, a roman, a yellow belly, two saddle backs, a bream and a john brown and a good story to tell everybody back home about the new guy attracting sharks.:) :)
SAVE DIVING

Hey,
That should get your heart thumping in the am for awhile! GWS are catty - do you think this one was territorial on the fish? Also, I have heard that when they have full stomachs they can get rather wierd - its like they get drunk, lose fine motor control, bump into things, etc...
I have a place in San Francisco area but I haven't pulled up the nerve to dive on the CA coast. So many attacks, too many seals and sea lions in the water. I am trying to get over it but the damn sharks are longer than the range of visibility! I have several invitations.... I keep diving blue water so that I can at least see them coming.
Yea, a shark shield is looking like a required piece of equipment.
I have been nearby and in the water during two shark related fatalities in the last year. I was less than a mile from an attack that killed a spearo on Opal Reef in NQslnd, Au a year ago this last Dec. They stayed too long in one place killing fish.... the bite was probably accidental- the guy wasn't mauled. Took the attached pic just before hearing about the attack.
The other was a 12yr old boy taken in 20ft of water by a big Tiger off Four mile road near Kealakakua, Hawaii this past Sept.
Glad to hear that you weren't on the menu this time.....
Lungfish

Attachments

• Large Shark.jpg
    Large Shark.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 314
  • Blackfin.jpg
    Blackfin.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 276
I dont really know if it was about the fish or if the shark was just inquisitive and came to see what was next to him in the water, maybe a bit of both. His motor functions was definately working just fine, we chased him ,or rather it, with the boat for a while and it swam at quite a speed and we struggled to keep up with it, on closer inspection we also saw another one not too far away so I can honestly not say how many of them there was but they were definately there for the same reasons we were.
I also think that a shark sheild could be helpfull even if its just to give you some peice of mind, especially in our waters with the large shark population weve got at the moment but once again its something we have to except as spearos, the sharks will always be there.
You must have had quite a bit of a scare yourself finding out about what happened around you that day.
Well good luck with getting into the water on the CA coast and keep safe.:)

Hiya

Hazarding a guess.........was it on the wreck of the "Pioneer"?:D:D

The wreck of the "Septer" is also close by and is also in very shallow water. BOTH these spots are notorius for their healthy population of GWS.

Thats why we have a simple rule, anything under 6m viz. and we don't dive those two wrecks. Bloody scarry see-ing a GWS in DIRTY water!! Glad to see everything turned out fine!!

Regards
miles

It was just past the pioneer, but while the vis at the pioneer was perfect it wasnt that great there where we saw the GWS's. By the way were you guys there this weekend I saw a duck that looks a lot like yours in the tuna pics, we passed each other a few times, if you were how was your catch for the day.

Hiya

Unfortunately, we didn't go. Thursday was AWESOME on the 12mile bank, with the guys catching dorado, small YF tuna and 'tail. Friday wasn't so good, so thats why we didn't go on Saturday!! I heard on Sunday afternoon about some spearo's at Struis who got a couple of 'tail on the 5miles and a GWS on the pioneer. Could've been them you saw.

Regards
miles

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT