• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Closing the ethics of hunting thread

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
I already expressed my opinion to Sarge in a PM, but I have to get this off my chest in public, although I don't expect it to get the thread reopened.

I happen to think that it sucks that the thread was closed. The thread was not nasty and everyone was being civil.

We should be able to discuss anything as long as we are civil and don't flame each other.

Why the hell should we bother to restrain outselves if it doesn't matter anyway?

I try to put a lot of thought into my posts and do my best to present my views in a non-confrontational manner, but I'll stop and think twice before bothering to contribute to this forum if threads are going to be closed arbitrarily and for no good reason.

WOW! I took a lot of shit on that forum to state how I feel and now they close it. If there going to close forums now I guess I should be more blunt and spit out how I really feel before they close threads. :martial

I'll have to side with you guys on this one... really i saw no breach of ethics on the thread... besides this is one of those subjects where you are bound not to reach agreement on...so its better to have it out in the open and discuss it in a civil way maybe people will get a better chance to see the other opinion and be less judgemental.. hence one of the benefits of having a multicultural/worldwide forum...maybe there was some breach on the rules that was edited in some posts that i am not aware of, but as far as it appears now.. really i saw no reason to close it down...just my opinion
cheers

Well such things happen I s'pose, I have to confess I was one of the guys who didnt agree with Deckhands statements but hey each to his own and any bantering or as we call it choking was done more in the name of fun than anything else and besides we are all nice and big and all go out there with a relatively similar objective in mind so heres to all our mates who contributed and who wasnt scared to post their personal views in the light of possibly having people not agree with them :friday
O and Bill do continue to contribute to the forum as Im sure all here value your opinion and info you have to share greatly...
:ko :friday

In the cold light of morning, maybe I should moderate my position a bit.

It occurs to me that there may well have been very nasty posts that were deleted by moderators before I ever saw them. If so, that would give the moderators a different perspective.

This does seem to be a subject that brings forth unusual passion, and maybe it has all been said before.

On the other hand, after a couple of years almost everything other than new equipment and trip reports has been discussed before.

At least the thread was just closed rather than deleted.

Funny how the passing of the night and some years between the ears make one reconsider, eh Bill?

The point is folks, that while you all here may have not been offended or thought that things were all hunky-dory, many, many of the Mentors and Team Leaders were getting mails from others telling us that thye were feeling bent out of shape for getting their views and hobbies called to question.

The question of comps and shooting with tanks has been addressed many times before, it will no doubt be raised again and in the end, the result will be the same- some will feel self righteous, some will get their toes stepped on, most will feel indifferent and some will take their ball and go elsewhere. Bottom line, is that this place is just like society- if we try to suit everyone, we'll fail miserably. If we try to be middle of the raod, we'll be termed pussies. And if we pander to one side or the other, we get dumped on by the other side. So there's no clear winner, but many losers.

I encourage you all to go do what you do in a safe and legal manner and if that means you do it holding your breath or wearing tanks, have at it, but before hand and after, respect the resource. My kids and yours, and Bill's grandkids will appreciate it as well.

BTW Bill, the Riffe pouches are still around, just with a new part # and a different design. Jay says they're great, I'm holding it going, "ehhh".

Reactions: podge
I'll just add my two cents worth. I participated in previous "discussions" on this subject but this time gave it a miss, although I read it daily. As I had a foot in both camps I had something to offer but based on previous experience of this topic I wimped out rather than get inbroiled in some "heated" exchanges.

DB is great and allowing threads like this makes it so. However the fact that there is some control is what makes for good discussion. A good analagy is sport, where almost any game would degenerate into a brawl without a referee and some guidance. As I followed I spotted a couple of very offensive posts that were subsequently almost immediately ammended and good job too.

For my part I think the moderaters got it just right. Well done guys.

Dave

Okay Sven, we understand. Apologies to those who felt offended, if they did feel so. I'm sure no one meant to be harsh. I'm just sorry I can't go on reading the ethic and "motivational" confrontation that was going on between Bill Mac and Fondueset. They are two of the best minds on our board, and it was a pleasure to read them discussing.
---
But now look what happens on other forums. This is very funny: insult thread with a SPECIAL GUEST STAR!!! (I warn you: there are a few explicit posts. Adults only)
Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Alec Baldwin, father of the year.
---

Last edited:
cool link Spago.. seems they need some moderators over there... either that or maybe some good lawyers :)

The discussion seemed friendly enough (perhaps I missed some critical posts?). Maybe they just felt it had been "done to death" (it was well over a hundred pages I think). People change their views & ethics can change over time too -- so this is bound to come up again. These discussions are worthwhile though, OMD & Bill provided some insights which caused me to change my views.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
The discussion seemed friendly enough (perhaps I missed some critical posts?). Maybe they just felt it had been "done to death" (it was well over a hundred pages I think). People change their views & ethics can change over time too -- so this is bound to come up again. These discussions are worthwhile though, OMD & Bill provided some insights which caused me to change my views.

In facts it was OMD in an older thread who made me too change my mind about scuba hunting. If I remember well he basically said: not so easy as it seems, and it's up to your ethical sense to do or not to do an overkill.
Yes OMD is also a beautiful mind: experienced and wise as the best old men can be.

Reactions: Mr. X
Besides, we all know that in another year or so, someone will bring it up again and we can hash out the issues all over again. :blackeye

the point of a forum is for people to state their minds. people have opinions and will disagree. whats so bad about that. getting your beliefs challenged and reassessing your outlook on things is healthy. the posts that are most worthwhile are the ones that make you think.

Reactions: colt.45
And the posts where people threaten each other with beatings should they ever meet, flame each other for no other reason than boredom or a missing chromosome, and generally act like wankas are the reason threads get closed. :hmm

Moderated a forum for nearly 4 years. The mods on here have my full support.

And the posts where people threaten each other with beatings should they ever meet, flame each other for no other reason than boredom or a missing chromosome, and generally act like wankas are the reason threads get closed. :hmm

That's okay, killer. But now let's try not to flame this thread.
Love

Last edited:
I wasnt flaming anyone in this thread!

I agree with Apnea_Beast's sentiment, but also hold different views.

Nothing wrong with that? ???

Originally Posted by Shadowkiller
And the posts where people threaten each other with beatings should they ever meet, flame each other for no other reason than boredom or a missing chromosome, and generally act like wankas are the reason threads get closed.

Don't tell me the "Sea Slug" forum is not about invertebrates? rofl

hehe, you need codeword access to see the good stuff when it comes to slugs... :t

Was referring to the Adrenaline forum in Oz with my previous comment. ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT