• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

CMAS 1st EUROPEAN APNEA CHAMPIONSHIP

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
There is a youtube video of Michele Tomasi doing a 200m WR, but then you never know what 'world record' means in this sort of context....

I think the Men's DYN record is 200m. Anybody fancy picking up a CMAS record? Walter? Stig? Henning? Peter? Tom? Kerian? Ant? Par? William? Martin? Herbert? Alexei?
Why not you, Dave? You seem to be the ideal candidate. You are certainly not a CMAS member (CMAS is not present in your part of the world, to my knowledge) and you can certainly smash all their records without problems easier than anyone else.

The results from the championship 2007 including the records are on this page: CMAS - Apnée

195,02 for women (Natalia Babich, Russia) and 194,96 for men (Michele Tomasi, Italy)
And yes, CMAS measures centimeters. The performance of Michele is not marked as record, so am not sure if it is one, or if there was a higher performance on some national competition. In 2006, the record was 184,11m, also by Michele Tomasi.

I think the Men's WR for DYN@10m (aka jump blue) is around the 150m mark....?
Well, I can only guess from the championship results, because CMAS does not have any tables with records, but assuming from the results, the ones from 2006 are still valid for Jump Blue:
126.59 m for women by Paola Parenti, Italy
152.95 m for men by Devrim Ulusoy, Turkey

Why not you, Dave? You seem to be the ideal candidate. You are certainly not a CMAS member (CMAS is not present in your part of the world, to my knowledge) and you can certainly smash all their records without problems easier than anyone else.

Well on one hand I would like to have competed with ALL the freedivers in the world; there appear to be some good athletes in CMAS and it's a real pity we are not all on the same list. Joking aside, 200m with no samba is still a good swim - the youtube video looks cool. But I would see competing in a CMAS competition to be lending legitimacy to their organisation. An organisation that 1. acts like a pack of fascists and 2. is against freediving. Constant Weight with and without fins IS freediving as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not going to give my implicit support to a governing body that would like to see it stopped.

Beside the discussion AIDA vs. CMAS what Du you think about Speed Apnea?

I personally like the idea and will try it in the next trainings sessions :)

I think I like the idea over short distances (eg max 50m). Any longer and it would introduce a higher level of complexity in safety. It also adds a completely different element to a competition, ie. have the serious bit of static, dynamic etc. then have the fun part of the race at the end. We did something similar in my first comp in Germany and it was great fun. We did a 18*25m baton relay where 3 person teams would do 6 laps per person, passing the baton between each other. Great fun.

It also adds some crossover to finswimming where freedivers that may not have had the chance to finswim can get a taste for it, and vice versa. Can't really hurt too much - a lot of our best freedivers came from finswimming.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:

Speed apnea = finswimming. Just an extension on existing disciplines. 50m apnea times are under 15s. That's without a turn and with a dive, so lets say 33s for 100m. Good times should be under 35s.

Well on one hand I would like to have competed with ALL the freedivers in the world; there appear to be some good athletes in CMAS and it's a real pity we are not all on the same list. Joking aside, 200m with no samba is still a good swim - the youtube video looks cool.

Very well said. Athletes must respect each other no matter Cmas or Aida
Any freediver has one million reasons to say that Cmas sucks, but it would be extremely unfair to mock other athletes because of their performance.
Good on you Mullins for your respectful words. And you can be sure that Cmas athletes would feel as a great honor to compete with you, even if they do know that you'd win hands down. Sportsmen are sportsmen :)

Yes, very nice words, Dave, and a comprehensible decision that I actually agree with. Although being organized under FFESSM (which is a necessity here in France), I really hate the attitude of CMAS.

On the other hand, as I already wrote above, I know that the respect you have for them is not always shared on their side. I do not know if it is everywhere the same, but as I wrote, I know some high ranking officials, instructors, but also many plain freedivers here, who really do not have any respect for your performances (and the performances of other top ranking AIDA freedivers) and claim they were only achieved thanks to doping and thanks to weaker surface protocol. It is a pity they cannot swallow their pride and shut up, or at least stopping spreading the disinfo among other freedivers, unless they know some facts backing their claims (which they don't).

As for the discipline, I think it is an interesting idea, although it has little to do with the spirit of freediving and as others told it is closer to fin-swimming. On the other hand, I realize that there are many sportsmen especially among young freedivers who actually appreciate speed disciplines or hypercapnic apnea (i.e. relays) more than time/distance disciplines.

I worry, though, little bit for the safety - many freedivers (especially CMAS freedivers) have their PB just a few meters above 100m, so when rushing the 100m for time and having to reach the wall, I fear the risk of blackouts and sambas is rather great. We know very well that both great physical effort (high speed) and focus (reaching the wall) are besides hyperventilation the most important factors contributing to blackouts.

Still, I am very much curious about the outcome and about the number of blackouts or sambas. I wish you and all participants to avoid them, but they should be all well aware that they are in a much higher risk and should be very careful. Especially, because it may be difficult to assure good safety if there are multiple freedivers racing concurrently in the same time, which I understood will be the case. I wonder if there will be at least two safety divers for each competitor in each lane. If yes, I am afraid it will be a great chaos. If not, then you risk getting really bad problems and we could see a very serious incident (or several of them in the same time).

Well on one hand I would like to have competed with ALL the freedivers in the world; there appear to be some good athletes in CMAS and it's a real pity we are not all on the same list. Joking aside, 200m with no samba is still a good swim - the youtube video looks cool. But I would see competing in a CMAS competition to be lending legitimacy to their organisation. An organisation that 1. acts like a pack of fascists and 2. is against freediving. Constant Weight with and without fins IS freediving as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not going to give my implicit support to a governing body that would like to see it stopped.

I totally agree with Dave when defining CMAS as "against freediving".If they really cared for our sport of freediving they WOULD cooperate with AIDA and wouldn't prohibit their competitors to participate in AIDA competitions. Also when we talk about safety, I can say that there was a highest level of safety at the AIDA WC in Sharm and people who say that AIDA= BO,LMC,disregarding the rules... is talking rubish.

Dear Friends,

CMAS is trying... and trying. Nothing wrong with that, but I guess they could check up what the athletes wants to do. If they did this it would look a lot different.

About Speed Apnea, this is only a way to make it a little more interesting for the finswimmers, and a try to have them over so the numbers of athletes in their Apnea competitions will be higher. NOTHING ELSE !

Apnea is "low pulse - long time"

Speed Apnea is "high pulse - short time" ...just like U/W rugby.

For me, Speed Apnea is a new discipline in finswimming, but I guess you can BO after finnish a race in finswimming - but not in Speed Apnea (I hope)

Anyway, AIDA do not have any problem with CMAS, but the opposite is very obvious :-(

/B

(if there is any CMAS athletes who wants to compete in both AIDA and CMAS competitions, please e-mail me and I will help you)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT