• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Commentary CMAS Sees Freediving As Its Best Bet To Reach The Olympics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
AdobeStock_191272516-356x220.jpeg
Is Freediving making in-roads to becoming an Olympic sport?

Read the original post on DeeperBlue.com...

Would love to see deet apnea properly televised, with camera coverage all the way down and all the way up, this also allowing judges to make direct verdict of rope violations, etc. Or though blackouts will always be a part of it, and they will never be pretty.

Would love to see deet apnea properly televised, with camera coverage all the way down and all the way up, this also allowing judges to make direct verdict of rope violations, etc. Or though blackouts will always be a part of it, and they will never be pretty.
You've seen the Diveeye system Chris?

You've seen the Diveeye system Chris?

No, that is new to me. I was always thinking multiple stationary cameras along a seperate TV cable, maybe ten meters apart all the way down. Or one camera driving along such a cable. The idea being the camera angle secured on the competitor at all times. Maybe that Diveeye could be fitted to the latter one.

All we'd need is one televised depth event with full underwater and surface coverage, a world championship, a Vertical Blue, maybe as a 50min pilot edited as live. What would make ESPN and Eurosport interested?

But that takes funding, and who might have that? James Cameron, dunno...

No, that is new to me. I was always thinking multiple stationary cameras along a seperate TV cable, maybe ten meters apart all the way down. Or one camera driving along such a cable. The idea being the camera angle secured on the competitor at all times. Maybe that Diveeye could be fitted to the latter one.

All we'd need is one televised depth event with full underwater and surface coverage, a world championship, a Vertical Blue, maybe as a 50min pilot edited as live. What would make ESPN and Eurosport interested?

But that takes funding, and who might have that? James Cameron, dunno...

Diveye is now being funded to be at all World Championship events for AIDA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diveye is now being funded to be at all World Championship events for AIDA.

And how does it work? Just navigating in the free water mass? I feel like it would fly all over the place from ocean physics. If it would be a tool for realtime judging and also media, it would need to be aimed spot onto the competitor, idiot proof like. And I would still like a bottom camera also, that angle for me is freediving TV, when they grab the tag.

annelie-pompe.jpg

Going-Deep4.jpg

I'm really yearning to show everyone else what we see down there.

I don't see this happening in a million years. Unfortunatly but true. To compete on a olympic level, to compete agains others rather than yourself would add danger x 10 in a already not danger free sport.

I don't see this happening in a million years. Unfortunatly but true. To compete on a olympic level, to compete agains others rather than yourself would add danger x 10 in a already not danger free sport.

Can't see it being any different from bobsleigh and skeleton. The key aspect is whether or not deep apnea can be said to have Olympic value (which I personally think it does in spades, but I'm likely biased).

I mean, boxing is an Olympic sport, for Pete's sake, and that can also get really ugly, so why the hell not apnea? That has Hellenic origin too.

P0011.jpg

6602540349_3af52dc836_b.jpg

And how does it work? Just navigating in the free water mass? I feel like it would fly all over the place from ocean physics. If it would be a tool for realtime judging and also media, it would need to be aimed spot onto the competitor, idiot proof like. And I would still like a bottom camera also, that angle for me is freediving TV, when they grab the tag.

annelie-pompe.jpg

Going-Deep4.jpg

I'm really yearning to show everyone else what we see down there.

Chris - there are tons of videos from last years AIDA and CMAS worlds. Just search YouTube for diveye to see more - it’s a very clever system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CEngelbrecht
Can't see it being any different from bobsleigh and skeleton. The key aspect is whether or not deep apnea can be said to have Olympic value (which I personally think it does in spades, but I'm likely biased).

I mean, boxing is an Olympic sport, for Pete's sake, and that can also get really ugly, so why the hell not apnea? That has Hellenic origin too.

You guys can’t be serious comparing top level boxing and bobsleigh to top level freediving. That’s just plain dumb.

In boxing you have a second to toss the towel if it turns too messy, you have a referee to end the match on the same criteria.
Bobsleigh. Those guys can practice at the top of their abilities 10times a day, and how often do you hear about bobsleigh deaths really? Last one like 10yrs ago.

I think that adding a highly competitive ingredient is adding to much pressure as well as danger to a sport where there really are no margins, room for errors or anyone to bail you out if you mess up.

You guys can’t be serious comparing top level boxing and bobsleigh to top level freediving. That’s just plain dumb.

Look, fair enough, the elements of competitive apnea are extremely unique, especially deep apnea. For instance, it's the only risk sports I can think of where adrenaline has to be completely eliminated. But all sports, Olympic or otherwise, have their own unique characteristics. Some are more dangerous than others, for some you need to compete on the limit to even be in contention, and if you happen to stumble over that limit, the competitor can meet a gruesome end.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodar_Kumaritashvili
But that doesn't in itself minimize a sports' Olympic value. And for those it's also a continuous battle to employ safety measures designed to keep the competitors at the limit, while also recognizing, that they will at times inadvertently cross it, and then you need measures to nullify the gruesome end to the highest possible degree. Which I would say has proven somewhat easier for deep apnea than for bobsleigh, apnea having safety lanyard and counter ballast systems, etc. If a luger screws up on the day, they're on their own.

In boxing you have a second to toss the towel if it turns too messy, you have a referee to end the match on the same criteria.
Bobsleigh. Those guys can practice at the top of their abilities 10times a day, and how often do you hear about bobsleigh deaths really? Last one like 10yrs ago.

No, there was a double lethality just two years ago.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/641903/Twin-brothers-killed-bobsleigh-Olympic-luge-track
I have to say, I do have the impression that competitive bobsleigh/skeleton has deaths about as often as competitive apnea, with just as much scrutiny and introspection whenever it happens. Skeleton I personally think is insane, rushing down an ice tube 80mph headfirst on a bleedin' tea tray, your head an inch above hard ice.

I think that adding a highly competitive ingredient is adding to much pressure as well as danger to a sport where there really are no margins, room for errors or anyone to bail you out if you mess up.

Again, I can't see that being any different from e.g. bobsleigh. Which I'm sure has its Olympic value notwithstanding.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT