• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Co2 guns?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gator

Jun 5, 2005
Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of CO2 guns? (like in the James Bond films)

I searched the net and couldn't find any info other than the fact that they are noisey, make lots of bubbles and are generally unreliable, and for that reason they were phased out. However, in the articles I was able to find, power was not one of their drawbacks!

I was thinking for a specialty type gun, something small with lots of power, maybe to put a second shot into a large fish, or scare off sharks and the like, this might be something neat to have/make.

After looking at paintball guns and the availability of all the different sizes of refillable C02 cartridges, I was thinking that those smaller cartrides could make for a nice compact speargun.

Thanks

Gator

Back in the day these were pretty much frowned upon. Competitions specify that power allways be related to loading effort - thence pneumatic and band guns (and way back - spring guns). The co2 guns were very powerful - but had all the faults you mentioned. Another uber gun that came along was the SMG - which worked off a .22 cal cap - these were incredibly powerful and models were even made with rotating barrels - holding up to four spears.

Basically if you want a compact gun with lots of power Pneumatics seem to be the way to go. The shorter ones do not necessarily have much range or accuracy - but they can generate alot of power with a heavy shaft over a short distance. The nemrod Torpedero I had as a kid would blow throw both sides of the average carp at about a meter and a half. And carp are very heavy, solid fish with large, thick scales. That gun was a mid-handle design about two feet long. I also had a smaller Mares gun that was very short - maybe 18 inches or so - also very powerful but hard to aim as most of the weight was behind the handle.

As far as I remember, Pelletier used to be the best C02 gun.

I don't think that it is still being produced.

Cheers,

Roberto

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT