• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Code of Ethics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Code of ethics:

• Always TRY the killing shot

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Never kill more fishes that you can eat

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Never dump the dead catches over the side of boats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always thank the noisy seal next to you when the GWs are hungry :)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • All those answers, and much more...

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

Fert

Sep 11, 2003
Hi all,

In my mind, total respect of underwater life is so important. I want to know from all the spearos: What is your code of ethics when you're hunting ???

For me it is respect the environment, don't kill more fish than needed, always respect the minimum size and never shoot illegal fish (grouper in France :S )

all of the above sound reasonable.. I hunt at places and still with such a poor accuracy that I have no problems of killing too many fish... although that is one of the "rules" I follow. And always give the guts of your fish to hungry seagulls.. and talk to the local fishermen.. and leave nothing behind that might harm the beach, ocean, sea, lake.. and collect rubbish from the bottom just to keep the place even cleaner that before..

Pekka

Reactions: Alison
Excellent thread and poll Fert!!
IMO we have to think of ourselves as guests when we enter the sea. This way our actions will never harm the underwater enviroment.
Snorkel Bum is it really illegal to hunt groupers in France?
If so, you got a really good law there!! I think that the hunting of grouper should be banned throughout the Med sea. I have come to the conclusion that this fish is the heart of the underwater life in our seas and that it should be protected in every country.
I have noticed that wherever there is a healthy population of groupers you can find all the other species of fish in abundance.

GALADION: Yes it is illegal to hunt grouper, too bad, they taste so goooood! Hahahah :p

It's true they taste good, and true that we, spearos, can't hunt them. But fisherman catching them in there net just sell them.
The ban has been reconducted for 5 years, before a study on the environement will be done to evaluate the impact on the sealife.
One day or the other, the governement will have to lift the ban, because we see more and more small groupers coming from the baleares and they eat all the squids and more. Like in every ecosystem you have to keep the balance.

I think it is stupid they ban spearfishing on Merou and not on commercial fishing of Merou... C'est trop con!
Enfait tes ou sur la cote d'azur? Moi chui a Cannes et je peche Cap D'antibes et les iles de lerins...

Je suis sur Antibes
Je peche un peu partout sur le littoral, mais sourtout sur le cap et ses environs...

Oh c cool! Moi je suis membre du APPA (associtation pecheurs plaisenciers d'antibes) si tu est membre on pourra sortir une fois ou deux! Ou sinon tu deviend membre (c po tro cher)
Ben... a plus!

I 100% agrea with snokel bum.

Respect and learn about the marine enviroment you visit, catch only what you can eat, respect the size and bag limits and for gods sake dont catch protected species (it will only bring about the demise of the sport)!

I like Pekka's attidtude of collecting rubbish, good one ;)

Now if only the small minority who knowinly break all the rules could be educated wouldnt it be a wonderfull thing!

too bad that small minority is usually too small minded to be educated...

It depends...if I don't have alot of fish in the freezer, I shoot more fish within' bag and size limits. As the freezer starts to fill up I move only to bigger fish and pull the trigger alot less.

you can tell that the freezer is getting packed out because of my decline in picture posting.

Reactions: Alison and Murat
Hunting is hunting. Shoot what you are going to eat, be respectful of both nature and cultural thinking for the area you are in. Something I try to do in any area I go to is to hook up with some locals that are willing to have a stranger along. I'll tell them that I'll leave the spear behind and just watch to learn if that is OK with them. Most of the time they don't want me to do that so I get to hunt with them.

don't let the wounded fish in the cave, so always shoot to kill...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT