• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cold feets

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

basco

Dec 7, 2001
It's a bit cold here right now, 2°C on the surface, and my 3 mm sporasub socks just wont do it. What experiences do people have with different brands, thickness, materials? Mine are nylon/nylon. Would like to have opencell/nylon, if it exist?

Pouring in hot water before the dive did a lot, but unfortunately they don't fit very well, so the water moves quickly.

try tape'n them? Might want to go to the neoprene, makes a big difference.

Willer

I have been using 5.5mm Esclapez booties that are open cell on the inside. I have to wear a slightly larger foot pocket, but my feet stay toasty warm, even under the ice.

Jon

wool

Hi,
i always put a pair of wool socks under my booties, it help a lot. When wet, wool keep 10% of it's heat. The model i use is the one made by my grandma, so you know what to ask for xmas :D I dive under ice so i know cold.

yes thanks, now I know! Does she have an email-adress? :p

Does anybody of u use monofin? Cuz I suspect that mine doesn't like my feet.. or the other way around

Mono

I have just started using a monofin in the last 2 months, and am hooked. There are a few of us here!
I had one that had bad/small footpockets, and I hated them. Now I have a new one that is awesome, and I've been hitting PB's almost every time I hit the pool. If yoiur feets don't fit, then it wont be fun.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

monofin

How small are the foot pockets on your monofin?

I would hate to see a monofin get lonely from lack of use.;)

If it needs a good home and would fit a 43 I might be able to arrange an adoption for it.:D
I assure you it would go to a warm and loving home.:eek:

Jon

Cold feets? try-sie this:

I used Aquaseal on the inside seams of my 3mm socks. With tape at the top, the socks stay dry, and much warmer.
If your foot pockets are too tight, your reduced circulation will also result in cold feets.

Re: monofin

Originally posted by Jon
If it needs a good home and would fit a 43 I might be able to arrange an adoption for it.:D
I assure you it would go to a warm and loving home.:eek:

Jon

Sorry amigo, the fin started to crack down the middle too!
My feet are 10.5 and these posckets are about an 8, i would say. I had to take it off every 5 minutes, just to keep the circulation going.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

aquaseal

Morgan's on the right track, but be careful with the Aquaseal as it's a different rubber composition than the parent neoprene that it's holding together. You'll notice that it dries harder and the area immediately next to the Aquaseal is now suseptible to tearing, as the Aquaseal is stronger and less flexible. My experience has demonstrated that regular neoprene cement on REALLY clean srfaces will make the whole shebang last longer.

Also give the thought of using an over-sock a try. Lose the toes on an old pair of socks and slide the socks on pre fin, and over the fin/heel when your finned-up. Keeps the fins on too.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT