• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cold water glove recommendation

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

UKselkie

Apr 7, 2020
I scuba, snorkel and freedive in the north of Scotland currently 5°C. My right hand is proving to be the limiting factor of my dive times so I think it is time to invest in new gloves. So fellow cold water divers, what gloves do you wear? They need to have a bit of flexibility in to use a camera.

5mm Cressi gloves, but also my freezing hands are the limiting factor (last water temp was 2°C). Can anyone recommend something better, please?

When spearfishing in very cold water (0 - 4)°C, I am using Immersion 3 Fingers Seriole 7mm:
41AfhWqOPsL._AC_.jpg

I think from 4°C to 10 °C is possible to use 5mm model.
But in such case I am using 5.5 mm Sargan ("pianist's dream") with double obturation:
n_p19em5btootn11fuo1pfhbm31a8c1.jpg

Reactions: UKselkie
When spearfishing in very cold water (0 - 4)°C, I am using Immersion 3 Fingers Seriole 7mm:
41AfhWqOPsL._AC_.jpg

But in such case I am using 5.5 mm Sargan ("pianist's dream") with double obturation:
Thank you so much! I bought 7mm neoprene mitts made by my local dive shop and they are so toasty! No problem in 4C water for an hour. Now to improve my socks...

Attachments

• untitled-1250948.JPG
    untitled-1250948.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 270
Reactions: Vitaly
I found that socks were much less important than the gloves for winter diving in Alaska. I used the 7mm Imersion 3-finger mitts, but found 5mm socks were adequate., I must admit that my hands get cold much faster than my feet, so you may need the greater warmth of thicker socks. Part of my reasoning was that it was easier to get my feet into the fairly tight footpockets in the cold. additionally, there is very little of the sock in direct contact with the water.

When using thicker socks pay attention that galoshes shouldn't press so much, otherwise the meaning of using thick socks is lost and feet will freeze.

Sorry of my error in post last ! not talk in socks talc powder in neopren socks assist in dryer feet for a longer perod of time in cold weather

In my opinion, when it comes to diving gloves for cold water, you need to get the thickest one. I suggest a 5 mm to 6.5 mm glove for optimal warmth and safety. As a professional diver, I recommend that the colder the water is, the thicker your gloves should be.;)

41AfhWqOPsL._AC_.jpg

Thanks for your advice, I got myself a 7mm / 3 finger glove (Bare was the only one available) and it is awsome! No more freezing hands, yesterdays water was 1° C :)

Reactions: Vitaly
A note on the 3-finger gloves. I needed to use a lubricant (hair conditioner and water) to get them on.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT