• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cold water records?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alun

Oct 5, 2001
we've been keeping ourselves busy diving over the winter months. lately, i've been wondering about the deepest depths anyone has achieved in a thick wetsuit (ie. full 6/7mm) and mask and in water around 6 degrees (surface). (constant weight, not sled). all the records you ever hear about occur in warm waters with people wearing 2-3mils etc. i just wondered what people are able to achieve under extreme winter conditions.....

BTW...
in one of my last posts (just do a search on my name to find it) i mentioned a new safety system that i designed.... well, i have been a busy boy :) ... it has now been built and is currently going through some preliminary trials, and it is looking good so far. complete testing will take a couple of more months, and at some point i will write a report about it, in case anyone else wants to build their own... it's designed for freedivers who want to be able to retrieve a diver from depth but dont have the luxury of a boat or tons of money :). i dont want to give out anymore details just yet, until testing is finished and everything works perfectly.

I did 67m in 5/8mm suit (5mm pants, 3mm top + 5mm top) with a heat pack under my suit, with a Sphera mask and nylon 10.5lb/4.8kg weight belt, in 6C (surface temp) sea water (CW), but the only 'official' record I have heard of was an under ice dive by Kike who did 43m in a 5mm, verified by the guiness record books, and when he tried for 45m the following year he had a huge blackout (and guiness approved the record).

In my 5/8mm suit with a heat pack, after many experiments I have figured I lose about 22-28m from the drag & buoyancy change (compared to 3mm), so actually my 67m dive was my all-time most difficult dive, and I'm very proud because I felt great upon surfacing... But it is utter hell to get down to 15m (because I'm so frikkin buoyant). I have to do arm strokes on the first three monofin strokes, and I burn so much energy that my lungs are burning by 30m and I get contractions after 50m on the descent. Any more ballast on my belt and I'll be too negative on the bottom (even with 10.5lb/4.8kg I'm super heavy down there).

I also did 28.3m with no fins in the same suit config, and boy my vision was totally gone by the time I got back up, but I was clean. That was in a 6C/4C lake.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Originally posted by efattah
but the only 'official' record I have heard of was an under ice dive by Kike who did 43m in a 5mm, verified by the guiness record books, and when he tried for 45m the following year he had a huge blackout (and guiness approved the record).
Kike did -46m under ice a month ago in 5 mm suit.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT