• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Computers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

paulfulford

Mar 9, 2000
I've decided to buy a computer for diving not as a replacement for planning but as an additional piece of safety equipment.

I don't intend to do any decompression diving but want a computer that will calculate my decompression if I stay down a little too long.

I'm also looking for a computer that will allow me to use Nitrox (once I've taken the course)

I also don't want a console mounted device, I prefer to have a separate spg and depth gague.

What would other readers recommend and why?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Simple

Looks like you don't want a air integrated Try looking for a simple wrist type sych as a Oceanic prodigy but don't sell computers short for dive planning they can be a great aid especially on multilevel diving which we all do !
JJ

Paul,

I would urge you to check out the Suunto range of Dive Computers, I've been using the Viper (which has Nitrox capabilities), for the last two years with no problems at all.

The Viper also has a PC connection so it is possible to download your dive profile on to your home computer.

Viper - GBP 280.00 - Air/Nitrox - PC Connection (Add GBP 80.00)

Dive safe

Nathan

Suunto

Nathan is right, the Suunto brand is very capable (and stylish).

The Vyper or Stinger are probably your best bets for wrist mounted. Cobra is brilliant as an air-integrated version.

dive computer

I too had decided to get myself a dive computer as an added safety, and also was interested in a non-air-integrated, wrist-wearing model. And oh the reading and interviewing I have done!

While the Suunto computers are rated well, I find them a little too small (this is for added safety! I want to be able to quickly see numbers and go back to looking at fish)

If you haven't bought the computer yet, also look at the Mares Surveyor, which has been highly rated and seems simple enough to work with, as well as the Uwatec series.

indeed, and also undercurrent.org for the "Consumer Reports of diving"; skin-diver.com; and although having somewhat snarky editorial, cyberdiver.com gives some tidbits here and there re: equipment...if not at least a simple number rating.

VYPER

Hi,

I just recently got a Suunto Vyper, and I am really happy with it.
The display is plenty big for me to see with no lenses in my mask,
which was one of the many features that attracted me to the unit.
I think the display is about the same size as the Mares unit mentioned, and way bigger that the Stinger or Mosquito. The best prices that I have seen for these units are from DiveInn.

Best wishes and good shopping,

Doug

Re Computers
John Bennett the newest member of the Deeper Blue staff as Technical Editor will be joining our team in the new year and will have many great ideas and thoughts on Computers re what is best suited for divers who are looking at taking the next step from Air to Nitrox
I Hope that soem of his forthcoming articles will be of some help
Safe Diving
Malcolm James
Managing Editor
Deeper Blue

HI,
My husband just bought me my new Suunto Mosquito computer/watch. It is great! A little big for a watch, but great for a computer. It was not all that expensive on the diveinn either. It is a great computer for 3 disciplines, freediving, nitrox and of course air. There are built in safety features and the numbers are big and able to see. The computer also has features for decompression diving as it will give you the ceiling as to where you must go, and how long you stay... nice if you stay just a little too long! It also comes with a plastic cover that can be used to prevent scratching as well as make the view a little bigger. Nice computer so far. This is my third one, I also have a Data Source in my console, and also a Sherwood AWAC that I have wrist mounted.

I highly suggest computers as the way to go! Great for all sorts of planning.
Happy shopping
Neeka

Dive Computers

FWIW - I bought and used a Suunto Mosquito with no problems. the "Scratch Guard" is also a magnifier so it was easy to see underwater. The only gripe that I had was that the audible alarms were not. Of course, that could also be due to the background chatter of the surf and the pods of Spinner Dolphins that were present on virtually every dive. :friday

Other than that little tiny nit (Shouldn't be relying on audibles anyway - what is the point of having it if you don't look at it) , I love it. I used it for air and a Nitrox trial dive and in both modes, it was excellent. I also bought the PC connection kit and that allowed me to look at my profiles (Did I really ascend THAT fast? - WHOOPS!) later and, I think, has allowed me to become a better diver.

It is a little big to wear as a watch (It ain't a Rolex!) but it sure beats having to have lots of stuff with you. I also really liked the No Fly indication that is easy to read and understand (you see the airplane icon? Then do NOT get on one!)

My 2 Europennies worth

Bret

This is my first post in the forum I hope it works.

All this chat about computers reminded me about an article I read recntly which basically compared all major brands of computers. It does this by explaining how they all work then providing tables of direct comparison (including price)

Check out this link if your interested. I bought the Uwatec SmartPro.

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0901comptests.htm

Cheers

sjwhelan

Wow - another S Whelan on the forums...now that is what I call interesting!

On the subject of Computers - i'm more of a Suunto man myself - been through various incarnations over the years. I'm current on a Suunto Cobra.

Saying all that I think a computer is a personal choice and will come down to what you most comfortable diving with.

Yes Stephan, (us) the Whelan tribe gets everywhere en masse - even underwater. It will not be long before you can't decend anywhere without clattering into one. Oh yes.

Still on the subject of computers, I have just been to the dive show at the NEC Birmingham UK (the usual mad free for all) but all I managed to buy was a pair of gloves without any form of discount!. Computers were going pretty cheap though.

Stuart Whelan:t

Paul,

I have an Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus air integrated dive computer that I have been using for the past year and a half and I love it.

I have made about 100 dives with it and you can dive Nitrox or air simply by pushing a couple of buttons.

With the air integrated unit it will tell you your exact nitrogen build up as well as the number of minutes that you have left at that depth.

The unit is very compact and I did not get the quick disconnect or the compass. I have lost two dive watches in the past year and could see losing a wrist mounted unit.

From Leisure Pro these units run around $600. The computer has a "liberal" profile which allows me to make additional dives if I want to without the penalities imposed by some of the more conservative models.

I've used it on five trips to Cozumel and think it was money well spent.
Check out Rodales and do a search on dive computers. They ran a section a few months ago on this very topic.

Good luck with your search.
Jim Baldwin

Originally posted by paulfulford
I've decided to buy a computer for diving not as a replacement for planning but as an additional piece of safety equipment.

I don't intend to do any decompression diving but want a computer that will calculate my decompression if I stay down a little too long.

I'm also looking for a computer that will allow me to use Nitrox (once I've taken the course)

I also don't want a console mounted device, I prefer to have a separate spg and depth gague.

What would other readers recommend and why?

Thanks for your help

Paul
[/QUOTE]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT